Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Alert and ReportCaster schedule

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Alert and ReportCaster schedule
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hello to all Focal Point readers. I have created a Alert that reads the System Date and a DB2 Table Update date (Table is up dated Daily-mornings). If the Dates match my Alert condition is True. Background - We have to wait until the DB2 table is updated, then we run many programs to distribute to Managers, Data Entry people and different Region Depts. So, I'm trying Alert. I would like this schedule to run every day, but check for when DB2 table is updated (my Alert), then run my Tasks.
I'm having difficulty with scheduling and all the different options that will meet my needs. One more thing, all I know is DB2 table will be updated AM, sometimes by 8:30 and other times as late as 10:30. Now I'm trying the different scheduling and Alert options to see what works. No luck. I'm trying Alert Automatically Reset w/Advanced tab - Apply Secondary Run, every 10 min.
Alert Continue After Alert w/scheduling tab, Setting tab - On Error.
etc..etc.. But, I have not tried EVERY senario possible yet! I might be here for ever. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
Cherylb

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.7
Unix/Tomcat
ZLinux on System Z
DB2 Relational DB

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
cheryl

I have strumbled upon the same problem and not solved it so far
I am about to ask one tech from IBI to help me and will let you know once I found the solution

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Im not sure if this would achieve what your looking to do....

You could compare the system date to your db2 date, if this doesnt match then simply exit.

If they do match then process the reports.

KEY PART......to enable secondary scheduling without the reports/alert being distributed several times after the first succesful one. Include in the process a file build which creates a single value of 1 (with the date too?). For the reports to run, this value must be 0 and the dates match. The following day, have a schedule that runs before your main reporting job that amends the 1 to zero. Ths alert/report wont be run till this is amended to 1 and the dates match up again.

81.05 All formats

Posts: 56 | Location: Manchester | Registered: November 21, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I believe I found my answer after testing Alerts and scheduling for days!!! My Alert will test for a true condition which is the System Date and the DB2 table date. If they match, then run my procedure. In the Schedule, on the Schedule tab: Run Interval: Week(s), Start time: 8:00am Run Weekly: Every 1 week on: Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur,Fri. Then select the Advanced button. Enter Start Date: July 1,2010, End Date is automatically set(but you can change). Check box: Apply secondary run interval, select Every: 20 minutes (IBI suggest 30 min or longer) I selected 20 for testing, then select Until Time: OR Lasts for: (mutually exclusive) I tested with both and it worked. I selected Until time: 10:30AM, then select OK. Task tab, select your procedure, then you need to select the Alert button. Alert Schedule box comes up. I tested with all the options, but the only one that worked for my needs was Automatically Reset, select OK. Next tab, Distribution. Fill in your distribution information. Next tab, Settings. I selected the On Error notification and put in my e-mail address only, with a Breif Notification to me (yourself).

Now with this all selected, this is what my Alert and Schedule will do:
1) It checks for System date and DB2 table date. If true, runs FEX and distributes to my distribution e-mails. Now, in the schedule, my time and Date does not flip over until July 2, 2010 until after 10:30AM, because I said Run every 20min until 10:30AM. I recieved an e-mail with attachment when condition is True (lets say 8:40AM). I do not get an email after the FEX ran. After 10:30AM, the time on schedule changes to July 2,2010 8:00AM (Automatically Reset).

2) If Dates do not match, false, then this Alert will run every 20 min until 10:30AM. Keep in mind, this Date test program is very, very quick. I will get a email to me because I selected ON ERROR. Then when condition is True, it runs like I said in 1). So every 20 minutes I received an e-mail with Errors/Warnings message.

I verified this with co-workers sending them many e-mails for testing several different options, time intervals etc... but this seems to meet my needs.

If anyone finds that this might be a problem, please let me know. I might still run into some snag, but so far, it's working.

WF 7.7
Unix/Tomcat
ZLinux on System Z
DB2 Relational DB

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
CheryIB : I believe ur logic only works if Application is on Managed Reporting.

My Application is on DATA server and I am still looking for best solution for WAIT/SLEEP (without using SLEEP command).

My requirement is Check whether Table is Ready, if not wait/sleep for X amt of time then check again and Run (Almost Same as yours)

Can anyone give me idea abt how we use CheryIB logic ,if Application is on DATA server not on Managed Reporting.
Thankx

WebFOCUS 7.6.X/7.7.X
Windows
all output