Focal Point
[CLOSED] What is the difference between 'BD' and 'WD'

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/697104634

May 07, 2010, 04:59 AM
Jinx
[CLOSED] What is the difference between 'BD' and 'WD'
Hi,

I have some code that works out the hours between two dates. Up until now I have been using 'business days' and it seemed to work fine, but today someone has noticed a problem in a few cases, where if there is a day between the two dates, the business days excludes that day. So I tried the working days option 'WD' instead, and it produced the correct results, the time between the two dates including the hours of the day in between.
I would be eternally grateful if someone could explain the difference between the two as I was always under the impression they were essentially the same O.o.

The last thing one wants is for productivity reporting to be wrong! ;-)

DAY_DIFF/I8 = DATEDIF (1_DATE_TIME_FINAL2, 2_DATE_TIME_FINAL2, 'BD');  

DAY_DIFF/I8 = DATEDIF (1_DATE_TIME_FINAL2, 2_DATE_TIME_FINAL2, 'WD');  

Thanks!!

Jinx.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jinx,

Windows
HTML, PDF, Excel etc
DevStudio/Webfocus/Focus IBM
SQL Server 2000 / 2008
DB2
May 07, 2010, 05:42 AM
Dan Satchell
WD counts week/work days; BD counts business days, meaning workdays that are not holidays. SET BUSDAYS is used to set the work days in the week (usually _MTFTF_). SET HDAY points to a holiday date file. Use ? SET to see the settings for your site. Without a holiday file, I would expect WD and BD to produce the same results for DATEDIFF. But it's possible your site has a holiday file in use that is affecting calculations for some of the date functions, including DATEDIFF.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
May 07, 2010, 06:00 AM
Tony A
quote:
(usually _MTFTF_).
What do they call Wednesday in Switzerland then Dan Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
May 07, 2010, 06:12 AM
Jinx
*ponder*

I have set both..so I have the following:

SET BUSDAYS = _MTWTF_

SET HDAY = UKUK

So if I used 'BD' would both of the above be taken into account? Or is the first one only for working with 'WD'?

I am getting the incorrect hours from 'BD' even though the holiday file has the correct holidays listed.

Jinx.

Windows
HTML, PDF, Excel etc
SQL Server 2000 / 2008
DB2
May 07, 2010, 06:58 AM
Dan Satchell
Tony, thanks for pointing out my typos. I should learn to type one of these days.

Jinx, I'm no expert on this matter, but I would think WD uses BUSDAYS and BD uses both BUSDAYS and HDAY.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
May 07, 2010, 08:09 AM
Jinx
Thanks Dan, I'll do some more testing and come up with a working solution. At least I have some clarification ;-).

Windows
HTML, PDF, Excel etc
SQL Server 2000 / 2008
DB2