Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] What is the difference between 'BD' and 'WD'

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] What is the difference between 'BD' and 'WD'
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,

I have some code that works out the hours between two dates. Up until now I have been using 'business days' and it seemed to work fine, but today someone has noticed a problem in a few cases, where if there is a day between the two dates, the business days excludes that day. So I tried the working days option 'WD' instead, and it produced the correct results, the time between the two dates including the hours of the day in between.
I would be eternally grateful if someone could explain the difference between the two as I was always under the impression they were essentially the same O.o.

The last thing one wants is for productivity reporting to be wrong! ;-)

DAY_DIFF/I8 = DATEDIF (1_DATE_TIME_FINAL2, 2_DATE_TIME_FINAL2, 'BD');  

DAY_DIFF/I8 = DATEDIF (1_DATE_TIME_FINAL2, 2_DATE_TIME_FINAL2, 'WD');  

Thanks!!

Jinx.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jinx,

Windows
HTML, PDF, Excel etc
DevStudio/Webfocus/Focus IBM
SQL Server 2000 / 2008
DB2

Posts: 78 | Location: UK | Registered: February 07, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
WD counts week/work days; BD counts business days, meaning workdays that are not holidays. SET BUSDAYS is used to set the work days in the week (usually _MTFTF_). SET HDAY points to a holiday date file. Use ? SET to see the settings for your site. Without a holiday file, I would expect WD and BD to produce the same results for DATEDIFF. But it's possible your site has a holiday file in use that is affecting calculations for some of the date functions, including DATEDIFF.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
(usually _MTFTF_).
What do they call Wednesday in Switzerland then Dan Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
*ponder*

I have set both..so I have the following:

SET BUSDAYS = _MTWTF_

SET HDAY = UKUK

So if I used 'BD' would both of the above be taken into account? Or is the first one only for working with 'WD'?

I am getting the incorrect hours from 'BD' even though the holiday file has the correct holidays listed.

Jinx.

Windows
HTML, PDF, Excel etc
SQL Server 2000 / 2008
DB2

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony, thanks for pointing out my typos. I should learn to type one of these days.

Jinx, I'm no expert on this matter, but I would think WD uses BUSDAYS and BD uses both BUSDAYS and HDAY.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan, I'll do some more testing and come up with a working solution. At least I have some clarification ;-).

Windows
HTML, PDF, Excel etc
SQL Server 2000 / 2008
DB2