Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Sharing] XML error when upgrading HTML pages in 8.1.05M

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Sharing] XML error when upgrading HTML pages in 8.1.05M
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We are completing the process of upgrading our HTML pages from WebFocus 7.6 to WebFocus 8.1.05M, and occasionally run into a page that just won't work properly - the styling will be wrong, controls don't populate, the form submit button doesn't work, etc. Often, there is a simple error in the XML.

We expect to see a big chunk of XML starting with a "rootxmlnode" tag, like this:
<!--//confidential_id=focus_xmlelement
<rootxmlnode focoption="FOC_NONE" nextelementuniquenumber="1">
	<variables>
</rootxmlnode>
-->

Often in one of these problem pages, in place of the "rootxmlnode" tag will be a "requests" tag:

<!--//confidential_id=focus_xmlelement
<requests focoption="FOC_NONE" nextelementuniquenumber="1">
	<variables>
</requests>
-->

Now, in our version, the "requests" tag is a valid tag, but it is meant to be a child element down inside somewhere. So, I take and fix that one tag, and we're back in business again.

Yes, this is a text editor operation, in our versions best done through the web, rather than in App Studio. Editing using the external editor from App Studio may result in App Studio eating your code and leaving you with nothing, and (in my version) will also result in the report title being cleared under File/Folder properties (this has been reported and confirmed as a bug). Occasional text editing has been indispensable to our conversion process.

Hope this helps someone!

- Rob

WebFocus 8201m on Windows; App Studio 8201; Procedures: WebFocus with SQL; HTML Parameter Pages & Dashboard; Output: Excel, HTML, & PDF.

Posts: 88 | Location: MI | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Thanks for your insight.

You're quite lucky that most of your v7.6. parameter screens work - we had a heck of a time upgrading our older HTML pages.

I also noticed the disappearing report title in App Studio v8.1.05M - too bad it wasn't a one-off glitch.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

The whole story is longer; sometime I plan to post something longer on what we've learned in the upgrade process. We found that we had best success opening and saving our 7.6 pages in Dev Studio 8 to get them half-way upgraded, and then opening in App Studio and completing the upgrade. Often we had to do a number of additional items to get the page working again, but that process got it to where we could at least work with it in App Studio.

Pages where we had used modern HTML and CSS took extra work too.

A variation on the trick above is that sometimes the XML block will be duplicated. Normally, I delete the first one and leave the second, and that gets us back in business again. If it's possible to do *that* in App Studio, via the GUI, I'd be very impressed!

- Rob

WebFocus 8201m on Windows; App Studio 8201; Procedures: WebFocus with SQL; HTML Parameter Pages & Dashboard; Output: Excel, HTML, & PDF.

Posts: 88 | Location: MI | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to think we were lucky that we rebuilt all our HTML pages in 8.1.04, as we have not had any issues like this in 8.1.05. 8.2.01 is another issue....

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
8.2.01 is another issue....

Having just fought my way through the 8.0.07 to 8.1.05M conversion, I was hoping the 8.2x conversion would go smoother. Are folks having trouble making the jump from 8.1.05M to 8.2x? We are heavy in JavaScript/jQuery and I am not looking forward to debugging all that code again.

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980

Posts: 115 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: April 07, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen, there is code tightening.

But our code is quite complex and custom.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post