Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     COMPUTE FIELDS IN SUBTOTAL AND RECOMPUTE

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
COMPUTE FIELDS IN SUBTOTAL AND RECOMPUTE
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
I have a fex, with COMPUTE fields.
Is it possible in TOTAL and SUBTOTAL to just sum some of them and to recompute some of them.

COMPUTE HOUSEWARES/D14.2S=(HSWCOST_P_PAGE * BUDGET); AS 'Cost Housewares'
COMPUTE HOUSEWARESLY/D14.2S=(HSWCOST_P_PAGELY * BUDGETLY); AS 'Cost Housewares LY'
COMPUTE D_HOUSEWARES/D8.2=(HOUSEWARES-HOUSEWARESLY); AS 'Difference'
V_HOUSEWARES/D8.2%=IF (HOUSEWARESLY EQ 0 AND HOUSEWARES NE 0)
THEN 100 ELSE IF (HOUSEWARESLY EQ 0) THEN 0 ELSE (D_HOUSEWARES/HOUSEWARESLY)*100; AS 'Page Variance'

F.e to sum HOUSEWARES HOUSEWARESLY
and to do recompute D_HOUSEWARES V_HOUSEWARES

I need to have them in one like all for the same sort break.

Thank you.

posted Hide Post
SUMMARIZE and RECOMPUTE are the commands used when you want totals in a report that contains COMPUTES.

Posts: 11 | Location: Information Builders Inc | Registered: April 15, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
EvelynS
I do not to recompute all the fields, I need to recompute just D_HOUSEWARES and V_HOUSEWARES
and to SUM the rest

posted Hide Post
that is what SUMMARIZE will do. Add the numeric verb object columns and recompute any computed fields. You can find more info on the topic on the IBI web site. loo
k under publications/topics/summarize.

Posts: 11 | Location: Information Builders Inc | Registered: April 15, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
BUT I do not need to recompute
HOUSEWARES
HOUSEWARESLY, which SUMMARIZE does, I need to SUM them

posted Hide Post
here is sample code from the IBI website.

Example: Using SUMMARIZE

The following request illustrates the use of SUMMARIZE to
recalculate DG_RATIO at the specified sort break, DEPARTMENT,
and for the higher-level sort break, PAY_DATE:

TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
SUM GROSS DED_AMT
COMPUTE DG_RATIO/F4.2=DED_AMT/GROSS;
BY HIGHEST PAY_DATE
BY DEPARTMENT
BY BANK_ACCT
WHERE BANK_ACCT NE 0
ON DEPARTMENT SUMMARIZE
END

The first and last portions of the output are:

PAY_DATE DEPARTMENT BANK_ACCT GROSS DED_AMT DG_RATIO

82/08/31 MIS 40950036 $1,540.00 $725.34 .47
122850108 $1,815.00 $1,261.40 .69
163800144 $2,255.00 $1,668.69 .74

*TOTAL DEPARTMENT MIS $5,610.00 $3,655.43 .65

PRODUCTION 160633 $2,475.00 $1,427.24 .58
136500120 $1,342.00 $522.28 .39
819000702 $2,238.50 $1,746.03 .78

*TOTAL DEPARTMENT PRODUCTION $6,055.50 $3,695.55 .61

*TOTAL PAY_DATE 82/08/31 $11,665.50 $7,350.98 .63

The report output may look a little off being posted here, however the point is, the code sums GROSS and DED_AMT and recalculates the average. If you did not want a grand total the matching command to this is RECOMPUTE.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think we are over simplifying Sanders question. The problem is that the fields Sanders would like to have SUMed are COMPUTE fields, not database fields, which use HSW and BUDGET figures. What Sanders would like to do is SUM the results of the individual calculations instead of SUMing HSW and BUDGET values and then REcalcualting in the subtotal line with the aggregated values for HSW and BUDGET. You will achieve different results depending on if you use SUBTOTAL or SUMMARIZE.

SUBTOTAL calculates the COMPUTEd fields first and then SUMs the results.

SUMMERIZE SUMs the fields used in the calculation first and then calculates the COMPUTE fields in the total line.

The problem is that Sanders would like to do SUBTOTAL for two fields and then SUMMERIZE for the other two. SUBTOTAL and SUMMERIZE calculate the COMPUTE fields at different stages.

I am working on an example with the CAR file. Hopefully I will find a graceful solution.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I understand what you want to do. I ran into something similar. Here is some code using CAR.

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
COMPUTE DEALER/D20.2 = DEALER_COST + 1;
COMPUTE RETAIL/D20.2 = RETAIL_COST   +1;
COMPUTE PERC/D8.2% = DEALER_COST/RETAIL_COST;
SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
ON COUNTRY SUBTOTAL SALES RECOMPUTE DEALER RETAIL PERC 
END
-EXIT  

Posts: 15 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: July 19, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sander,

Change the COMPUTEs for HOUSEWARES and HOUSEWARESLY to DEFINEs and leave the other two as COMPUTEs. Then use the RECOMPUTE command to get your subtotal lines.

Making these two into DEFINEs will change the way they are treated by the RECOMPUTE and therefore get you what you are looking for.

Here is some code using the CAR file which illustrates the solution.

DEFINE FILE CAR
BUDGET/D12=DECODE BODYTYPE(SEDAN 1200 HARDTOP 300 COUPE 800 ELSE 500);
BUDGETLY/D12=DECODE BODYTYPE(SEDAN 120 HARDTOP 30 COUPE 80 ELSE 50);
HSW/D20=RCOST * BUDGET;
HSWLY/D20=DCOST * BUDGETLY;
END

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT HSW HSWLY
COMPUTE HSWDF/D20=HSW - HSWLY;
COMPUTE PCTDF/D8.2%=IF (HSWLY EQ 0) AND (HSW NE 0) THEN 100 ELSE
IF (HSWLY EQ 0) THEN 0 ELSE (HSWDF / HSW) * 100; AS '% DF'
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
BY BODYTYPE
WHERE COUNTRY NE 'FRANCE' OR 'W GERMANY'
ON COUNTRY RECOMPUTE
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, GRID=OFF,$
TYPE=SUBTOTAL, BACKCOLOR=YELLOW,$
ENDSTYLE
END

Thanks!

Mickey

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for a beautiful solution. Works perfect.
I had to call IBI before I saw your solution.
There is another way to do it
SET SUMMARY=EXPLICIT allows to do each field separately.
SET SUMMARY=EXPLICIT

DEFINE FILE CAR
BUDGET/D12=DECODE BODYTYPE(SEDAN 1200 HARDTOP 300 COUPE 800 ELSE 500);
BUDGETLY/D12=DECODE BODYTYPE(SEDAN 120 HARDTOP 30 COUPE 80 ELSE 50);
END

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT HSW HSWLY
COMPUTE HSW/D20=RCOST * BUDGET;
COMPUTE HSWLY/D20=DCOST * BUDGETLY;
COMPUTE HSWDF/D20=HSW - HSWLY;
COMPUTE PCTDF/D8.2%=IF (HSWLY EQ 0) AND (HSW NE 0) THEN 100 ELSE
IF (HSWLY EQ 0) THEN 0 ELSE (HSWDF / HSW) * 100; AS '% DF'
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
BY BODYTYPE
WHERE COUNTRY NE 'FRANCE' OR 'W GERMANY'
ON COUNTRY RECOMPUTE HSWDF PCTDF
ON COUNTRY SUBTOTAL HSW HSWLY
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, GRID=OFF,$
TYPE=SUBTOTAL, BACKCOLOR=YELLOW,$
ENDSTYLE
END

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sander, I saw the SET SUMMARY=EXPLICIT in the reporting manual but all the examples used SUBTOTAL and RECOMPUTE each on a different sort field so I didn't think it would work. I never did test it.

Your report is one of those types of requests that causes you to learn a bit more about the order of processing. I use to work for IBI as a consultant in the Washington DC area and use to teach FOCUS classes which give you many insights into the order of how each part is processed.

SET SUMMARY=EXPLICIT is a nice feature that was added in 5.x I think.

I'm glad you finally have a solution or two.

Thanks!

Mickey