Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     IBI Supplied/Created JavaScript - documentation

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
IBI Supplied/Created JavaScript - documentation
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Has anyone found any documentation regarding ibirls2.js?

I scanned my collection of 300MB of PDF documentation for v7.6 and found nothing. Neither did I find anything on the IB documentation website.

Thanks,

Francis.

(I have renamed the posting title from "ibirls2.js documentation" to "IBI Supplied/Created JavaScript - documentation" to better reflect what I am looking for)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is correct, since the js is an internal IBI proprietary file. There is no public documentation available on it.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,

You may raise this to techsupport on this.

Atleast a high level documentation on the list of functions and their purpose will be helpful.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ramkumar - Webfous,

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
HTML/PDF/EXCEL/AHTML/XML/HTML5

Posts: 394 | Location: Chennai | Registered: December 02, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Gamp, don't you think we need to understand this
quote:
internal IBI proprietary file
?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think it would be wise when IB, in view of the amount of threads on this subject lately, would publicize at least a functional overview of what these javascript files do. So yes, I agree that some doc at least is needed. And that is not limited to ibirls2.js ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Why would you need to understand this?

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Maybe because if I open the simplest 7.6.8 designed screen in 7.7.02 it breaks. I'm trying to figure out why.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Perhaps my post title is wrong - I would like to understand ALL IBI supplied JavaScript so that I can be sure that I don't cripple a GUI-designed HTML form.

In http://forums.informationbuild...461084762#8461084762 Bob Jude Ferrante mentions ibiValidate.js - is this documented anywhere.

I know all about validating HTML forms, I'd like to try doing this within the GUI.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
We do not document HTML Composer runtime because it is for internal use only and the HTML the HTML Composer generates uses it.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
David, thank you for your response, but this doesn't really answer my question. I will revise the question: How does one add form validation to an HTML Composer created page? Is this documented anywhere?

Thank you very much,

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis,

It is nor documented because we do not support it. Please open a new feature request with Customer Support Services so it can be addressed in a future releaase.

Thanks.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Expert
posted Hide Post
Information Builders does not support forms validation in an HTML Composer created web page?

So, I can add a bunch of text boxes to a form, but I cannot verify that the user has entered data in those text boxes until after they submit the form?

Francis

<JG>
posted
Francis, if created in the HTML Composer you can create an exit to vailidate using your own JavaScrpit,
simply by clicking the required event.

If you are using a hand coded HTML page then you naturally code your own.

Please name one alternative BI solution (except hand coded) that even remotly gives you this option.

The IB internal code is only a concern when it prevents your custom functions from working.

That has not normally been seen to occur except when you mod the load functions.

Once the page is loaded any problems are usually down to invalid custom code.

Hundreds of examples of onBlur, onChange etc, scripts are readily available on the open domain
that you can use that allow you to do anything you could possibly dream of.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <JG>,

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
if created in the HTML Composer you can create an exit to vailidate using your own JavaScrpit, simply by clicking the required event.

Thanks, this is what I needed, which seems to contradict the previous post. Now, is this documented anywhere?

Francis

<JG>
posted
There is a big difference between manipulating IBI generated code and adding a function that operates with the generated code.

select your control

click the events tab

select the event type you need i.e onClcik, onBlur etc.

This will generate a function stub in the html code.

add your custom code where indicated.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis,

By not supported, I am saying that HTML Composer does not provide any validation routines, and as such, we would not document nor support such a routine. You would need to code your own routine, call it, and support it.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Expert
posted Hide Post
According to Bob Jude Ferrante, there is ibivalidate. If only it was documented.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
dhagen provided some very valuable documentation at this post ibiValidate Documentation. Maybe this should be put in a formal document...

Unfortunately, if you want to do deeper validation, verifying the selected values of two form objects, for example, I don't think this will help.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis,

ibivalidate is part of the Maintain product. It is not for use with HTML Composer. There is a new feature request for HTML Composer to have validation routines, but it has not been implemented yet.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Expert
posted Hide Post
David, If ibiValidate is part of the Maintain product, then why is there a separate script for maintain?

/ibi/html/js/ibiValidate.js
/ibi/html/maint/mntFormValidate.js

Are you saying that we are not allowed to use this javascript library ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The use of this library was suggested by two IBI experts in this forum, neither mentioned that is was to be used for Maintain only.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know.

Hence the question.

It would be nice if the library had a line it saying what it was related to, say a comment
quote:
//MAINTAIN Only

or

quote:
//WebFOCUS use allowed

It is very frustrating that the functions are all there and can be easily used, but we don't know if we are allowed to use them.

I am a bit fed up with the Internal Use Only line as well, it just slows everything down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waz,

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
ibivalidate.js is not an HTML Composer supplied JavaScript file. The JavaScript files included with the product install are called by what the product generates. They are not meant to be called otherwise unless explicitly documented like the API functions introduced for HTML Composer in release 7702. If you call functions in an internal file, you are likely to experience problems when you upgrade since that internal file is IBI source code and is subject to change between releases. If you need us to supply a function, the way to do it is to open a new feature request, then an API function can be created for your use.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you need us to supply a function, the way to do it is to open a new feature request, then an API function can be created for your use.

What is the turnaround time for something like this?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
So we can use these functions without retribution, just the possibility of changes.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis,

The turnaround time depends on how involved the function requested takes to implement and test. I cannot provide you a set rule.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168