Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Flat File Problem
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
We have a flat file that we maintain manually by ftp'ing to our hard drives on our laptops, make the changes, then ftp back to the HP-UNIX box. We've been doing this for the past couple months, and recently our file seems to have three extra blank lines in it when you query it, but if you open the file and view it you don't see these blank lines. I've tried highlighting all the rows in the file to see if there were blank spaces some where in the file causing problems and there doesn't seem to be any. These three lines have reaked havoc on my programs that read this file and I've had to add code to accommodate them. Does anyone have any ideas of what happene and how to resolve the problem?

Thanks.

WF 7.1.4, Client=Windows 2003, Reports Server=HP-UNIX

WF 7.7.05
HP-UX - Reporting Server, Windows 2008 - Client, MSSQL 2008, FOCUS Databases, Flat Files
HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 149 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: June 08, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Stuff like this can happen when you work with different editors on different platforms. Some charachters can not be translated and can be interpreted as a blank line.

Have you tried to open it with VI? Or is the file too big to manually search for blank lines?

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Are those three blank lines just three carriage returns and not blank spaces?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
My guess would be along the lines of Francis' suggestion. One other possibility - when working with flat files, if a line contains additional spaces (more than are described in the MFD), it looks like there are additional records when you run a query. It thinks if it has filled all the fields described in the MFD, then any additional characters must belong to the next record - even though there is no end-of-line or carriage return. (Flat files are funny this way). Check to make sure there are no carriage returns or trailing spaces on the last record(s).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Darin Lee,

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin's guess is a good one as well...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I highlighted the entire contents of the file to see if there were blank spaces, but I did this on my hard drive and not it VI, I'm relatively new to Unix so I'm not very good with VI. I will take a look at the file in VI and see if I see any blank spaces or carriage returns. Thanks for the quick responses.

WF 7.7.05
HP-UX - Reporting Server, Windows 2008 - Client, MSSQL 2008, FOCUS Databases, Flat Files
HTML, Excel, PDF

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
they MIGHT actually be unprintable characters, and not visible to the naked eye. if you can view hex notation you may find they are not '40' (spaces), but some unprintable chars.
try using HEXBYT user-written subroutine

Ira
AIX 533 WF 5.3.6

aix-533,websphere 5.1.1,apache-2.0,
wf 538(d), 537 (p),
==============
7.6.11 (t) aix 5312
websphere 6.1.19
apache 2.0

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that.

WF 7.7.05
HTML, Excel, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
On Unix, spaces would be ASCII '20'.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
try reading your file using the LIST verb instead of PRINT, and you'll get line numbers for each line.
them open your file in, say, TextPad, which will give you line numbers...then compare and see where its screwing up.
I remember having a problem with unpredictable record lengths (to Darin's point) in a flat file and solving it using an mfd with SUFFIX=DFIX..
If i can find that code from several clients ago, i'll update this post.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I resolved the issue. There were three rows in the file that each had a character way to the right of the last field in each record. Thanks for all the ideas.

WF 7.7.05
HTML, Excel, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yup. exactly the point.
quote:
There were three rows in the file that each had a character way to the right of the last field in each record

Yup. Exactly the point. This is almost always the case when reading flat files and you're getting too many records.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post