Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED not SOLVED] Mainframe FOCUS - How to determine which row causes format error?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED not SOLVED] Mainframe FOCUS - How to determine which row causes format error?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I have a mainframe FOCUS batch job that reads 31 concatenated flat files as input and outputs 1 output file, formatted as alpha.

I get several dozen format error messages:
(FOC1130) FORMAT CONVERSION ERROR FIELD/KEY  : PLAN
How do I determine which input rows cause these errors?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Interesting one....

I would try writing a record counter, and the field to a file.

Then check the file to see when the counter skips a beat.

May not work, just a theory.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I had thought of that too, but the &RECORDS and &LINES are the same so it looks like it's not dropping rows, but perhaps dropping values in rows.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I've seen this before. My memory is a little fuzzy on this but I seem to recall that on WinNT 7.68 it displayed the rejected records in TRMOUT. What was even more annoying is that &FOCERRNUM was 0 unless the error occurred on the last row.

I think you'll have to use divide and conquer to find the rogue data.

EricH

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Eric.

My original post simplified the actual situation. I have 31 concatenated files as input so, to find the needle in the haystack I thought I would allocate one file at a time and run the job 31 times. Well, they all ran without format errors!

Then I started with two concatenated files, ran the job, added another, ran the job, and so on. I finally figured out a combination of two files gives me three format errors - but there are about two million rows...

I'm thinking of giving up.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the field has MISSING=ON, whether it will be populated with a missing value ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If not already the case, and if possible, I would convert all numeric data elements to alpha format.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I had something similar happen recently, we have a WebFocus program that builds a file that is used in AIX FOCUS. A tab was entered into one of the data fields. Passed through the WebFocus program without any problems, but when it hit the AIX FOCUS it rejected because all of the fields after were in the wrong position.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Any differences in the DCB (record length, block size, record format,..) between the files?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
you can write the rejected records to an other database

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
You might check for a blank row (extra return) at the end of each file

8105 Tomcat and AIX reporting server
input: Teradata, SQL, DB2, Essbase, Oracle, text
output:html, excel, PDF,

Posts: 35 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: May 30, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I assume that this describes the problem.

EX -LINES 6 EDAPUT MASTER,TST_DATA,CV,FILE
FILENAME=TST_DATA, SUFFIX=FIX,$
SEGNAME=TST_DATA, $
  FIELD=KEY      ,ALIAS=  ,A10  ,A10 ,$
  FIELD=VALUE    ,ALIAS=  ,P10.2,A10 ,$
  FIELD=TEST_TYPE,ALIAS=  ,A30  ,A30 ,$

-RUN

EX -LINES 7 EDAPUT FOCTEMP,TST_DATA,CV,FILE
TEST 1        100.01VALID
TEST 2     999999.99VALID
TEST 3     MISTAKE 1Text instead of numeric
TEST 4          0.99VALID
TEST 5      12345,20Comma in numeric
TEST 6      -8888.77VALID

-RUN

FILEDEF TST_DATA DISK tst_data.ftm (LRECL 50 RECFM V

-RUN

TABLE   FILE TST_DATA
 PRINT  TEST_TYPE
        VALUE
 BY     KEY
 ON     TABLE HOLD AS TST_HOLD FORMAT ALPHA
END

-RUN

! type tst_hold.ftm

And it seems to indicate that the records are not held.

To determine the records with the format errors, I would create a second master that is alpha only, (you only need the keys) and compare the two results.

If the format errors are not on the keys then it should pinpoint the offending records.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I may be totally off the mark here, but ...
Could it be that by using 31 concatenated files and adding the records, you end up overflowing one of the summed fields (PLAN in this case), producing *** in the output file?
If that might be the case, then increasing the format (not the actual) of the field PLAN on the input side might solve the problem.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
GamP!

Some of the fields do indeed have asterisks denoting data overflow - these are most likely causing the data format errors.

Thanks very much,

Francis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The program inputs and outputs the same number of records.

All the input files have the same DCB.

After concatenating all the input files to one HOLD FORMAT ALPHA file, an alternate Master with an occurs is used. This is where the format errors happen.

Francis