Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Chaining 2 links to one control using OR

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Chaining 2 links to one control using OR
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have browsed the forum to see if there are any discussions already on this topic. I did not find any.
I am creating 3 dropdown lists CITY, COUNTY & STORELOC.
User can either select CITY or COUNTY to get their list of STORELOC.
How do I get this working. I have read the manual "Chaining Controls for Dependencies in the HTML Composer", but did not find what I need.

In the parameters tab, I did chain CITY to STORELOC and COUNTY to STORELOC. But, that is asking users to enter both CITY and COUNTY to populate STORELOC, I need an OR.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

In Focus since 2008
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.1
Windows 7 - IE,Chrome,Firefox
Excel, PDF, HTML, AHTML, XML
JavaScript, jQuery, D3.js, Highcharts

Posts: 79 | Location: New York | Registered: February 04, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell, you cannot do this with HTML Composer. You can, however, have three chained controls: COUNTY > CITY > STORELOC.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reply Francis,
I have given those names as an example. I definitely need to use OR condition to populate the third dropdown. Maybe I could use javascript to handle the chaining for me.

In Focus since 2008
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.1

Expert
posted Hide Post
if you're willing to write the code, i can tell you how. If you're wanting the gui to do it for you, i can't help sorry, i don't have 8.
Tony A and I did a prez at summit one year, we called it 'the chain gang'...if you can find that prez on the Summit web, its all in there. otherwise, let me know if you're willing to write the code and we'll just do it.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
You could use the ignore filter _FOC_NULL to allow storeloc to still populate even if the other control is empty. Having said this, I am trying to convert something to WF8 that does this in WF7 and it isn't going well so far ... we will see.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Posts: 402 | Location: Upland, IN | Registered: June 08, 2012Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Susannah and J.

I chose a different route. I am using a tabbed container "BY CITY" and "BY COUNTY". My user agreed and liked it.

In Focus since 2008
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.1

Guru
posted Hide Post
Nsk,

No need to write any code. You populate based on a default condition - one of your chains. Then you add another condition that says based on some selected value to populate with alternate data. I did a Summit lab on this using COUNTRY, STATE, and CITY and STATE WAS INLY VALUD IF THE COUNTRY was USA, otherwise it did not display and the chain when from COUNTRY to CITY.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
David --

I presume you mean to leave the three controls chained, but set up the state-list-filler logic to return just a "n/a" place-holder value if Country NE 'USA', and the City filler logic to similarly screen differently depending on whether Country EQ or NE USA.

Can you provide a link to the presentation materials?

-Jack

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post