Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Active Report - How to Create Gap/Padding Between Columns?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Active Report - How to Create Gap/Padding Between Columns?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
My users are seeing an Active Report formatted report from the following code:
TABLE FILE CAR
  PRINT CAR NOPRINT
  COMPUTE FN/A50V = 'IMABROOKE'; AS 'First,Name'
  COMPUTE LN/A50V = 'TROUT';  AS 'Last,Name'
  ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT AHTML
  ON TABLE SET STYLE *
   TYPE=REPORT,GRID=OFF,FONT='Arial',SIZE=8,COLOR=RGB(50 50 50),$
   TYPE=REPORT,ALLOW-COMMENTS=OFF,$
   TYPE=REPORT,
    OBJECT=MENU,
    COLOR=RGB(53 78 109),
    HOVER-COLOR=RGB(53 78 109),
    BACKCOLOR=RGB(241 245 249),
    HOVER-BACKCOLOR=RGB(81 215 235),
    $
   TYPE=TITLE, JUSTIFY=CENTER,$
   TYPE=TITLE,SIZE=9,STYLE=-UNDERLINE+BOLD,BACKCOLOR=RGB(220 218 195),COLOR=RGB(134 10 39),
    BORDER-STYLE=OUTSET,BORDER=LIGHT,BORDER-COLOR=RGB(255 255 255),$
   TYPE=DATA,
    BORDER-LEFT-STYLE=NONE,BORDER-LEFT=MEDIUM,BORDER-LEFT-COLOR=RGB(255 255 255),
    BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE=NONE,BORDER-RIGHT=LIGHT,BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR=RGB(255 255 255),
    BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE=NONE,BORDER-BOTTOM=LIGHT,
    BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR=RGB(255 255 255),
    BACKCOLOR=( 'WHITE' RGB(227 232 238) ),
    $
   TYPE=REPORT,
    OBJECT=STATUS-AREA,
    JUSTIFY=CENTER,
    PAGE-LOCATION=BOTTOM,
    $
 ENDSTYLE
 END  

The 'E' of the First Name is smack tab too close to the first 'T' in Last Name for my users taste.

I cannot find anyway to put in a 'gap' between the two columns.

I really can't set specific width to one/both of the columns b/c in the next run the values could have more or less letters.

I also can't go to AUTOFIT, since my container is wide, and so then my columns would have too much of a gap. (Goldilocks where are you? :-))

Any/all ideas welcome.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Expert
posted Hide Post
Consider the use of TOPGAP, BOTTOMGAP, LEFTGAP, and RIGHTGAP in your stylesheet.

C/O Goldilocks

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug!

I think though those *GAP parms are more for PDF formatted reports, rather than AHTML.

Or at least that is what I think from reading the manual and trying them out.

I guess you can say I am shopping at Old Navy and not the *GAP. :-)

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Expert
posted Hide Post
David,
Works for me in 7.7.05(Don't laugh too hard!) -
play around with the SQUEEZE value:

TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=N2, SQUEEZE=2, $

hth

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom.

I don't think I can set width of the 'First Name' column because I don't know necessarily how wide the values will be for any given report run.

So setting SQUEEZE = 2 works for the 'current value' of First Name.

And, as soon as, I have...:
  COMPUTE FN/A150V = 'IMABROOKEIMABROOKEIMABROOKEIMABROOKEIMABROOKEIMABROOKEIMABROOKE'; AS 'First,Name' 

...as the 'incoming value', I again have a teeny weeny gap between the columns.

{No problem still being on 77x, guessing you all have a lot of legacy apps that keep on keeping on, and don't necessarily need the 8x feature set. :-)}

Expert
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that David. I used the GAP in "ON TABLE HOLD AS REPORT1 FORMAT HTMTABLE" then did a simple HTMLFORM...

How about DEFINEing a "SPACE/A1 = ''" and placing it between the first and last names?

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Yep, did create a spacer column and place it in between the two displayed columns.

But, with Active, I get the 'upside down triangle' menu thingy, which would raise questions with the users like...Is there a column missing data?...

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi David,
Well, you can find the max of the column length and set SQUEEZE accordingly? Just a thought...

DEFINE FILE IBISAMP/CAR
  COL1_LEN/I3 = ARGLEN(10, COUNTRY, COL1_LEN); 
  COL2_LEN/I3 = ARGLEN(16, CAR, COL2_LEN); 
  COL3_LEN/I3 = ARGLEN(24, MODEL, COL3_LEN); 
END
TABLE FILE IBISAMP/CAR
SUM
    MAX.COL1_LEN
    MAX.COL2_LEN
    MAX.COL3_LEN

ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN
-READ HOLD &COL1X.I3 &COL2X.I3 &COL3X.I3
-TYPE COL1 = &COL1X
-TYPE COL2 = &COL2X
-TYPE COL3 = &COL3X

-SET &COL1_SQ = IF &COL1X LE 10 THEN 1 ELSE
-               IF &COL1X GT 10 AND &COL1X LE 30 THEN 2 ELSE 3;
-TYPE Col 1 SQUEEZE Value: &COL1_SQ
-EXIT

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom!

Yes, running through the dataset in order to support report time code creation is a great technique.

In my scenario though, I am looking for something a little more direct, as I have many columns in my report. And hopefully I can have something that can be applied by other developers, when the need for Active Report padding arises in other reports.

Thanks again.

Master
posted Hide Post
Looks like this is what the doctor ordered:
-* File ActiveReportColumnPadding.fex
TABLE FILE CAR
  PRINT CAR NOPRINT
  COMPUTE FN/A50V = 'IMABROOKE'; AS 'First,Name'
  COMPUTE LN/A50V = 'TROUT';     AS 'Last,Name'
  ON TABLE HOLD AS REPORT1 FORMAT AHTMLTAB
  ON TABLE SET STYLE *
   TYPE=REPORT,GRID=OFF,FONT='Arial',SIZE=8,COLOR=RGB(50 50 50),$
   TYPE=REPORT,ALLOW-COMMENTS=OFF,$
   TYPE=REPORT,
    OBJECT=MENU,
    COLOR=RGB(53 78 109),
    HOVER-COLOR=RGB(53 78 109),
    BACKCOLOR=RGB(241 245 249),
    HOVER-BACKCOLOR=RGB(81 215 235),
    $
   TYPE=TITLE, JUSTIFY=CENTER,$
   TYPE=TITLE,SIZE=9,STYLE=-UNDERLINE+BOLD,BACKCOLOR=RGB(220 218 195),COLOR=RGB(134 10 39),
    BORDER-STYLE=OUTSET,BORDER=LIGHT,BORDER-COLOR=RGB(255 255 255),$
   TYPE=DATA,
    BORDER-LEFT-STYLE=NONE,BORDER-LEFT=MEDIUM,BORDER-LEFT-COLOR=RGB(255 255 255),
    BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE=NONE,BORDER-RIGHT=LIGHT,BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR=RGB(255 255 255),
    BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE=NONE,BORDER-BOTTOM=LIGHT,
    BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR=RGB(255 255 255),
    BACKCOLOR=( 'WHITE' RGB(227 232 238) ),
    $
   TYPE=REPORT,
    OBJECT=STATUS-AREA,
    JUSTIFY=CENTER,
    PAGE-LOCATION=BOTTOM,
    $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
<style>
td[id^="I0r"] {
    padding-right: 20px !important;
}
</style>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
!IBI.OBJ.ACTIVEREPORTJS;
!IBI.FIL.REPORT1;
</BODY>
</HTML>
-HTMLFORM END   

I use the CSS padding property, and a CSS selector that selects the 'cells' of the Active Report.

I've put the CSS in a -INCLUDE, in case IB changes the identifiers of the cells, and if that is ever the case, I can easily adapt. Or if IB comes up with a StyleSheet attribute for column padding in Active Reports, again I could easily, given the -INCLUDE turn this CSS off.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Very Good David! Excellent idea, technique and process.
Well Done!!!

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Expert
posted Hide Post
Ditto to Tom's reply...

td[id^="I0r"] {padding-right: 20px !important;}

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I forgot about using "JUSTIFY=CENTER" here:
quote:
TYPE=REPORT, OBJECT=STATUS-AREA, JUSTIFY=CENTER, PAGE-LOCATION=BOTTOM,$