Focal Point
[SOLVED] Parameter Controls with BI Portal

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7117060536

December 06, 2013, 06:11 PM
JMeattey
[SOLVED] Parameter Controls with BI Portal
Still working out the kinks transitioning to 8.0...

In the previous application iteration we would develop dashboard pages with the HTML Composer tool, which would allow us to create parameter controls that would link to multiple procedures, i.e. one drop-down box control could pass a parameter to multiple charts/reports on a single dashboard page.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this using the new BI Portal frames? Are we stuck creating HTML pages and including these as one large frame in a Portal page?

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8.0
Windows, All Outputs

December 07, 2013, 07:51 AM
Twanette
Hi,
I think you'll find what you need in the Virtual User Forum that is scheduled for Dec 10.
Virtual User forums

Magically Filter Reports in the New BI Portal
Presented by Matthew Lerner, Information Builders

I think Matthew also did this presentation at Summit 2013, so alternatively you may be able to download the presentation/lab from back then.

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server
December 08, 2013, 08:38 PM
StuBouyer
The steps needed are outlined in Chapter 10. Filtering Reports Using An HTML Composer Form of the Business Intelligence Portal manual.

Cheers

Stuart

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)
December 13, 2013, 11:45 AM
JMeattey
quote:
Originally posted by StuBouyer:
The steps needed are outlined in Chapter 10. Filtering Reports Using An HTML Composer Form of the Business Intelligence Portal manual.

Cheers

Stuart

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you very much for your help Stuart.

WebFOCUS 8.0
Windows, All Outputs

December 17, 2013, 09:48 AM
DLR
Did you get this to work. I am trying to use this technique. It is refreshing the forms, but doesn't seem to be passing the parameters to the procedures. My parameters have the same name. Do we need to do something else with the fex?

WF 8.1.04
December 17, 2013, 11:38 AM
JMeattey
quote:
Originally posted by DLR:
Did you get this to work. I am trying to use this technique. It is refreshing the forms, but doesn't seem to be passing the parameters to the procedures. My parameters have the same name. Do we need to do something else with the fex?

I was able to get this approach to work after some iteration...

What ultimately worked: I included one of the actual report procedures into the HTML Composer page in order to force the parameter control to populate. I then removed the report from the HTM file, and added in the javascript to refresh the reports. Finally, I added the HTM file and all corresponding report procedures into the Portal page and hit paydirt.

The key seemed to be using one of the report procedures to "build" the parameter control, rather than attempting to build the control from scratch.

WebFOCUS 8.0
Windows, All Outputs

December 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
DLR
Thanks! I will try that!

WF 8.1.04
December 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
DLR
Ok, I created an HTML page with the composer. Added a report. Changed the text boxes to listboxes so I could dynamically populate. removed the report. Added the javascript for refresh. Added it to the portal, plus a couple of panels with reports. My 'run' button still wants to run the orignal report. What am I missing?

Thanks!!

WF 8.1.04
December 18, 2013, 08:46 AM
J
Remove the hyperlink from your run button...

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs
December 18, 2013, 01:43 PM
DLR
When I remove the hyperlink from the run button, it removes the parameters(not the list boxes). When I add them back it doesn't work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DLR,

WF 8.1.04
December 18, 2013, 02:07 PM
DLR
I got it to work! Of course it was something simple. When my parameters were removed I had to create them and bind them to the listbox again. Well I was binding them in the wrong direction. Instead of dragging listbox to parameter I was dragging parameter to listbox.

Thank you so much for your help!!

WF 8.1.04