Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Suggest Best Practice - Store Parameters for displaying Reports Later

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Suggest Best Practice - Store Parameters for displaying Reports Later
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

Kindly suggest best practice for a feature I am trying to implement -

1. Show a procedure which shows a report / graph based on variables specified by the user from dropdowns/text box

2. Capture these variables and store them in database.

3. Assign a name to this generated report

4. access it later by using the parameters stored in database

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
Will this system store more than one instance of the saved parameters?

Posts: 291 | Location: Greater Cincinnati  | Registered: May 11, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. For example we have a chart which accepts variables Brand Name and Sub Brand.

The idea is -
1. My Client sees a combination of Brand P&G and sub brand - Drynites. The client would store this information using webfocus along with his/her comments

2. My Manager might need clarification for Brand Kimberly Clarke and sub brand - Huggies, he would store this information along with his comments.

3. I would at later stage go ahead and click on it to produce the combinations they have seen, and see comments for that combinations and respond to them.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I fully understand what you want but here is the impression that's forming.

You want to create a launch page that has three controls.
1. A drop-down for Products
- chained to
2. A drop-down for Sub-Products
3. A text box to capture comments

The client selects from 1 and then 2 and writes a comment in 3 then hits Submit.

The values would be written to a table with a key for retrieval.

Amworld, is that what you are wanting to do?

Posts: 291 | Location: Greater Cincinnati  | Registered: May 11, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Yeah,

@amworld
I'd like something like that too.

Haven't found a real good solution.
Save Report doesn't really do what I want. I got some hints about making it all in Jscript. ( i.e. in the HTML )

But that will store the form data local on a workstation. Not sharable with others.

I not only want the user to be able to store all entered values with a name and/or comment. I also want them to be able to recall those parameters AND change them before running.

I am curious for an answer from anyone...

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This isn't as difficult as it sounds. JS and WebFOCUS is all you need to do this. I built a very elaborate process much like you are talking about many years ago for a customer, and they are still using it. You can use JS to collect everything you need from the input objects, and then ship and store it in a data base on the WF server using IBIF_adhocfex (just use JS to dynamically build the procedure) via an Ajax call.

The only tricky part these days is when you collect the parameter names. As of WF 76 the parameter names are no longer stored as an attribute of the input object in the HTML page. You will need to use the "persistentuniqueid" attribute on the input object to perform a lookup in the XML data island to get the actual parameter name that is passed to WF. The JS for returning the "real" parameter name would look something like:
var $ = function(_id) { return document.getElementById(_id); };

var wfVars = {
     _xmlRoot: null,
     _getXmlRoot: function () {
          if (this._xmlRoot == null) {
               this._xmlRoot = $('focus_xmlelement').documentElement;
          }
          return this._xmlRoot;
     },
     getActualParameterName: function(_id) {
          if ($('focus_xmlelement')) {
               try {
                    var myPattern = "//variables/variable/link[@from='" + _id + "']";
                    var myNode = this._getXmlRoot().selectSingleNode(myPattern);
                    return myNode.parentNode.getAttribute("name");
               } catch (err) {
                    return null;
               }
          } else {
               return null;
          }
     }
}

function somefunction () {
     var cName = wfVars.getActualParameterName($('calendar1').getAttribute('persistentuniqueid'));
     alert("Ojbect Name: " + cName);
}

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Great! This I'll have to try.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.