Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]WebFocus - Business Views and Security (User Access)

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]WebFocus - Business Views and Security (User Access)
 Login/Join

posted
Hi WebFocus friends,
I got exposed to Webfocus over 6 months ago and I would like to start making Business Views. I believe I know how I can make Business Views on my own through App Studio. Although I have problem understanding how the security (different user access) will be applied to different "folders" under Business Views.

Can anybody share some documentation regarding Business Views and applying user access on them?
I will be greatly appreciated,
Sincerely,
Thomas

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8.201

Posts: 23 | Location: MI | Registered: October 06, 2016Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Read:
DBA Security

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You Martin for the link.
To be more specific My institution created User Groups in WebFocus which we use to limit user's view for reports and such.
Although when I follow the the Link, you have to create a new user? What about users/groups we already created under WebFocus Security Console?
Or maybe I do not follow properly the documentation?

Thanks WebFocus Fans for help!

WebFOCUS 8.201

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You don't need to create new users. Those that exist may be used.

It's just that you have to type the user id yourself, there is no way (as far as I know) to make a selection from a list of existing users.

Make a copy of one of your master then try to create DBA on that copy first.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks MartinY for replying.
Yes, I can create DBA and users, but what it is a purpose of that since it cannot limit access to folders? Meaning, by using DBA/USERS I can only limit Field restrictions. What about set restrictions based on the folder? I just do not understand why what is the purpose of Business Views since you cannot limit the access to them by each folder...

WebFOCUS 8.201

posted Hide Post

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
A Folder restriction it's a SEGMENT restriction.

In Focus since 2007

Master
posted Hide Post
Thomas,

my few cents....

1st, if you are on any version after 8.0.08M, then upgrade to the latest 8.1.05 gen. Somewhere after 8.0.08 there is a bug in the SQL adapter in how the SQL is created when dealing with Business Views and DBA security. It got fixed in gen 913 I believe (I know because I found it). on to your actual question.

Folders are considered virtual segments. So wherever the documentation refers to segments, you can interchangeably use folder.

Using groups to restrict your data. You can base your DBA security based on groups but to do so you will need to create an MFD profile. In your MFD profile you can use the variable &FOCSECGROUPS (this grabs your WebFOCUS group assignments for a user. This became available in 8.0.09) to identify all of the groups that a person belongs to. You will need to write a short procedure to parse the value and then set the "password" to the desired value

SET PASS = 'GROUPA'
-- or you can set a permanent password that cannot be changed during the session
SET PERMPASS = 'NON_SHALL_PASS' 

This "password" relates to the User in the DBA security. This is how you can restrict entire groups and not need to create a rule for every user individually.

This is an excerpt from the help file that Martin pointed you towards:

quote:
Restrictions: Segment, Field, Value, Noprint, Same
When the file access is selected, continue to select the type of restriction you wish to apply.
Choose Segment to grant access to all or individual segments.
Choose Field to grant access to all or individual fields.
Choose Value to limit access to values that meet a test condition. See Restricting Access to Segments, Fields, Field Values, and Noprint.
Choose Noprint to specify fields you do not want to display in a report.
Choose Same to apply the same restrictions as other users that are already set up.

Going back to what I said above, Folders are virtual segments. By putting your folder name as the restricted segment, you can restrict entire folders from users.

I hope this helps in your building of DBA security.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post