Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] maintain: using multi-edit box on large alpha does not show carriage return

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] maintain: using multi-edit box on large alpha does not show carriage return
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I am using a multi edit box for a large alpha field (a3000). When I enter data on first line and then press carriage return or enter key, it will not show the line break. It will only show line break if I expressly type html code 'less than' BR 'greater than'.
In each of the multiedit box, I have tried wrap set to: off, soft and hard.
when I do a simple table file like
table file xxxx
print text
end
I only see the line break when html code is used.

any suggestions on how I can show these line breaks using carriage returns?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Expert
posted Hide Post
Try the style sheet syntax of TYPE=REPORT, LINEBREAK='CRLF', $

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I use line breaks for text all the time. These are held as dec 10.

However they will not show in an HTML output unless you translate the dec 10 to < BR>, or use LINEBREAK='LF' for PDF. In Excel they appear normally.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I have tried already :
TYPE=REPORT,
LINEBREAK='CRLF',$

and unfortunately it does not work.
Alan, yes my output would be in html. Can you show me the webfocus code to convert dec 10 to
?

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I have done more research and try 2 different options on my field called PRICING which is a3500. The field contains a number of carriage returns entered through multi edit box in maintain
option 1)

ANLBD/A3500 = CTRAN(3500, PRICING, 010, 060, ANLBD);

I am looking for dec 10 and replacing with 060 which gives me the < but I cannot get

option 2)

CR/A1 = HEXBYT(13, 'A1');
LF/A1 = HEXBYT(10, 'A1');
CRLF/A2 = CR || LF ;
TEXT/A3500=STRREP(3500, PRICING, 2, CRLF, 4, '
', 3500,'a3500');

this does not pick up any carriage return, not sure what is wrong with the code above?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Sometimes only the CR or the LF are included within the data and not both, so you need to either use a hex editor on a sample field value or alternate just replacing the CR or LF instead of both -

CRLF/A2 = CR || LF ;
TEXT_OPT1/A3500=STRREP(3500, PRICING, 1, CR, 6, '<br />', 3500,'A3500');
TEXT_OPT2/A3500=STRREP(3500, PRICING, 1, LF, 6, '<br />', 3500,'A3500');

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only see the line break when html code is used
This led me to believe that the output you were having problems with was not HTML Confused Hence the TYPE=REPORT, LINEBREAK='CRLF', $ suggestion.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In my text maintains I also use multiedit boxes to hold the text. My wrap is set to off.
I do not however work with these large size fields, nor do I use TABLE to populate the control.
What I do to show the linebreaks is: retrieve the data from the database, and check the data to see where to put the break (could be some symbol, or after the x'th character). The break is inserted in the string as '\n'. I do this because of the fact that it now is platform independant.
When I receive the data back in the maintain after some event has fired, I check the string for presence of the '\n', change it for the database break and store it.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
CRLF/A2 = CR || LF ;
TEXT_OPT1/A3500=STRREP(3500, PRICING, 1, CR, 6, '
', 3500,'A3500');
TEXT_OPT2/A3500=STRREP(3500, PRICING, 1, LF, 6, '
', 3500,'A3500');

thanks all for the replies.

The following code worked for me: