Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CODE] WF 7.6 New Features I find interesting

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CODE] WF 7.6 New Features I find interesting
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
While I wait for my new PC to be set up, I'm reading the WebFOCUS 7.6 documentation and there are several new features related to coding that I found interesting. I thought I'd share these and to ask if people have started using them.

WebFOCUS 7.6.x New Releases

Controlling Underlining of ACROSS Objects
SET ACROSSLINE = (ON|OFF|SKIP)
We can finally control the Across line!

DB_LOOKUP: Retrieving a Value From a Lookup Data Source
This could be handy to get a cross reference value without joining

Assigning Column Numbers to All Fields Used in a Request
SET CNOTATION={ALL|PRINTONLY|EXPLICIT}
This could be very handy when column notation is required - no more guessing at the column number

Displaying SET Parameters by Functional Area
? SET BY CATEGORY categoryname
This is cool

Produce a Summary Operation on a Horizontal Sort Field
This is very practical:
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
ACROSS COUNTRY SUBTOTAL
END

Join to a Fixed Format Sequential File Based on Multiple Fields
At last!

Define and Initialize a Hidden Variable
Use
-DEFAULTH &var = value;
to prevent the variable from being prompted!

Displaying a Row for Data Excluded by a Sort Phrase
Really neat! (If I can get it to work)

Creating HTML Reports With Absolute Positioning
DHTML output format type - I'll have to test this out

Load Data Into Fixed Format Sequential Files Using MODIFY
Now this looks interesting!

Suspend Execution for a Specified Number of Seconds (764)
What the ?

Locking Excel Spreadsheet Values (765)
People have been asking for this for a while

Compressing PDF Output Files (765)
Could be useful with email and ftp

Returning an ISO Standard Week Number (765)
Play with the Week Number

Controlling the Format of Reports With Multiple Display Commands (767)
SET DUPLICATECOL={ON|OFF}
Could be handy

Testing Whether a Value Exists in a File in Dialogue Manager
This is very handy, use instead of -READ with -REPEAT

It seems there are more FocalPoint questions related to Dev Studio and GUI report development than coding, I'd be curious to know if Dev Studio has these coding new features built-in or is there a lag time before this stuff gets to Dev Studio. Also, are there features in Dev Studio GUI that are not available in code? I suppose all those new-fangled reports (Precision, Coordinated Compound, HTML Active, etc.) can only be developed in Dev Studio GUI (whatever it's called these days - there's Report Painter, HTML Layout Painter or HTML Composer?, PDF Layout Painter or Document Composer?, etc.).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Francis

I need more time to test all new functions.
Lookup does not always work, and I was not able to code it via the GUI.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I was afraid that some of the new features don't work as advertised.

Also, there seems to be some inconsistency in the documentation - there are new features described for Developer Studio that are not described for Report Language - does that mean they don't exist in code or is the documentation not up to date?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I always get a kick when I read the SNFs. A lot of the mentioned features have been around for years, they were never documented as a WF feature. DB_LOOKUP for example has been around since at least 5.3. It was never mentioned in the WF doc, but it is mentioned in the Data Migrator doc.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Any v8.x secrets we should know about?

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Too secret to mention!

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post