Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Running multiple versions of a Maintain application on 1 server

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Running multiple versions of a Maintain application on 1 server
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Good morning,

I am currently using 7.7.03. I have two applications, productionApp and testApp, running on the same server. In edasprof I have the following:
APP PATH productionApp testApp baseapp.

This morning, I ran into a problem where a .mntfile had not been deployed to production, but was correctly retrieving data from the production database since the file was originally created in 2016. This morning I made a change to the .mas file reference in the .mnt in testApp. When I deployed my code, I broke the production app. It only took a few minutes for me to find and correct the problem.

I understand the APP PATH was working as expected.

My test environment correct executes the code in testApp before the programs in the productionApp environment.

I have 3 questions

1) If I remove testApp from the APP PATH statement, will the productioApp only look at the files in productionApp and baseapp? Will the testApp still execute the files in testApp before productionApp?

2) Is it possible to have separate APP Paths for each application?

IE:
Production APP PATH productionApp baseapp.
Test APP PATH testApp productionApp baseapp.

3) Is it possible to have all the files in the productionApp directory and only files I am currently modifying in the testApp directory? If this is possible, has anyone done this? Any recommendations for one scenario over the other? The app already contains 80+ .mnt files and is constantly being enhanced so I expect this number to continue to rise.

Thank you,
Deana

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deana,

WebFOCUS 7.6.8 and 7.7.03; Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2, respectively; Development environments - Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows 7 Professional, respectively;
excel, html, pdf

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hey Deana

I will try to answer your questions..

1) If I remove testApp from the APP PATH statement, will the productioApp only look at the files in productionApp and baseapp? Will the testApp still execute the files in testApp before productionApp?

No the testApp files will not be found.

2) Is it possible to have separate APP Paths for each application?

Yes you can put the appropriate APP PATH statement as the very first line in your .mnt file.

3) Is it possible to have all the files in the productionApp directory and only files I am currently modifying in the testApp directory? If this is possible, has anyone done this? Any recommendations for one scenario over the other? The app already contains 80+ .mnt files and is constantly being enhanced so I expect this number to continue to rise.

Yes then you APP PATH would be APP PATH testApp productionApp baseapp then it would find your files under development in the testApp folder first.

Hope this helps..

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Thank you for your response. I will try this on my development machine, first. I appreciate your input.

Deana

WebFOCUS 7.6.8 and 7.7.03; Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2, respectively; Development environments - Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows 7 Professional, respectively;
excel, html, pdf

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I deleted the duplicated files and added APP PATH testApp productionApp baseapp to the starting object of my test application. I did not add it to all of my .mnt files. I have separate versions of the startup in testApp and productionApp. If the .mnt file the code CALLs, does not exist in testApp, it does find the version in productionApp and vice versa This is awesome.

However, the forms in my .mnts use .js files (links not embedded). When I compile the code in the test app, the reference to the .js files is :Big GrinateCheck.Source = '/approot/testApp/DateCheck.js';. In the production app, the reference is
:Big GrinateCheck.Source = '/approot/productionApp/DateCheck.js';

If the code is executed in the production app, it always picks up the .js file in the productionApp directory. If the code is in the test app and the .js files is not in the testApp directory, it does not find the file in the productionApp directory. Is there a way to have use the APP Path to located the .js files regardless of where the .mnt file currently being execute resides?

Thank you,
Deana

Deana

excel, html, pdf

Master
posted Hide Post
When we link the JS file to the Maintain form, we hard code the location of the file. When we deploy the application, and include the resource files in the deployment scenario, we change that location to the server / path to that server. So, there are two ways for the MNT file to point to the correct location of the JS files. The first is to use the deployment scenario. The second, but less recommended is to hand edit the MNT file before compiling and changing the path to the JS file.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thank you for the clarification on how links are updated. I agree allowing the deployment scenario is the best way to go. If I manually change the code, I will have to manually change it again when I push the code to production and then again if I have to modify the code. This seems like a maintenance nightmare.

Late last night I had 2 thoughts related to my question.
1. I can leave the current .fcm files in the test directory on the server. However, in development studio, my test app could have just the files currently being modified. This way the correct server paths are maintained on the server. The server will still have duplicate copies, but machine with development studio would not.
2. If I am changing just the .js file and need to test the change before moving to production, I can copy the .mnt from my production to my test directory and recompile that file so it will point to the .js in the test environment. This will allow me to still prevent multiple copies of all the maintain code on the server and my development machine.

At this time, option 1 makes more sense to me as it will require the least amount of remembering the process and will allow me to just change the .js file when needed. Would you recommend one option over the other? Or a totally different process?

excel, html, pdf

Master
posted Hide Post
It sounds like option 1 is definitely easier. If it produces the results you want, then I agree that you should do it.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mark. I appreciate you assistance.

excel, html, pdf