Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     How to invoke an ASP (Active Server Pages) from .FEX routines

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
How to invoke an ASP (Active Server Pages) from .FEX routines
 Login/Join

<japss>
posted
Hi

I have some .asp pages which are running separately. My main application is written completely on WebFocus. Now, I have a requirement to integrate .asp pages with the .FEX routines.

When I mean integrating .asp pages, I meant I would like to reuse the functionality. I will remove all GUI from the .asp page. I would like to use only the VBScript (Server side script) from .FEX

Is that possible? If yes, how do I do that. How do I call an .asp page from .FEX code?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Senthil

Report This Post
<WFUser>
posted
You need to be a little more specific about what you waqnt to do. The problem is that FEXes exist on the WebFOCUS server and ASPs (like HTML) exist on the web server. Although they may physically be the same machine, they called and executed differently. ASPs get called from a URL. You can always call the URL from a FEX with a drill down. Doing the reverse is easy. The user calls the ASP and the script makes a call to WebFOCUS. What exactly does the script so and when do you need it to get called?

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
An ASP can include dynamic content from a URL and that's how you should approach it. The call to the WebFOCUS CGI/Servlet/ISAPI layer is simply a URL call from the ASP for a bit of dynamic page content. ASP does not know how to call into WebFOCUS, but that's not really a problem with this strategy. It doesn't have to know.

Hope this helps

Bob

Expert
posted Hide Post
(1).asp pages can call fexes, the same way html pages do.
but fexes can only output html (using -HTMLFORM)..
(2).asp pages can summon html tables that focus has made and parked on the server somewhere. (using #include file comands). This is how you would build a portal page, for example. And you could have working fex drilldowns or fex drillups within those tables.
If this is helpful, say more about what you want to do.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
My guess is that you could have some JavaScript in the html within the -HTMLFORM that opens a new window with the ASP file. Then the JavaScript could pass any values that were retrieved with WebFOCUS to the new window...

Report This Post
<EddieS>
posted
My team is new to WebFOCUS and we have an existing delivery system for a different reporting tool which uses a set of VBSript .asp files to deploy reports and log usage. They are also used to create selection lists and where clauses based on the user's AD authentication.

We'd like to make use of this system but are unsure of how to access the .asp files and therefore use the variables which allow dynamic html creation within the fex. Any help will be appriciated.

Thanks
Eddie

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
eddie, imho you would really benefit most from a day or so of IBI's Professional Services( a consultant) to be on site with you and figure out what you need. I'm not selling their services, mind you. i'm just suggesting that your project sounds more complex than board-chatting can solve , and needs to be actually seen. thats just what ibi's consulting folks do best.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post