Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     NEWBIE - (FOC1072) AND (FOC36359)

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
NEWBIE - (FOC1072) AND (FOC36359)
 Login/Join

<Ronze>
posted
Hey everyone,

I am new to webFocus but know a lot about db programming and SQL.

I have a problem where I am getting the error

'(FOC1071) VALUE FOR JOIN 'TO' FIELD OUT OF SEQUENCE.'

I looked this up online and a moderator suggested (to another) that they should format HOLD aka (i think) on table hold format focus. I do not know how to implement this.

I use MATCH to create the HOLD.

MATCH FILE file1
SUM col1
FST.col2
BY att1
BY att2
WHERE att3 EQ 'EXAMPLE'
RUN
FILE file2
SUM col3
BY att1
BY att2
AFTER MATCH HOLD OLD-AND-NEW
END

JOIN
file3.match IN file3 TO ALL HOLD.att1 IN HOLD J1
WHERE file3.att6 EQ 1
END

how would I implement the change to fix my problem?

thanks in advanced for your help, if you need anymore help please let me know I can find it out.

Ronze

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
join att1 in file3 to whatever
i've never seen the "join file3.match"syntax.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Your child hold file will need to have the field you are using to join to the parent table indexed.

Here is how you index a field in WF:
TABLE FILE tablename
SUM
ON TABLE HOLD AS holdfilename FORMAT ALPHA INDEX fieldname
END

The INDEX fieldname what you will need to add to your code. I hope this helps.

Posts: 406 | Location: Canada | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
<Ronze>
posted
Just as an update, I removed ALL from the JOIN and I was able to run the program. I still haven't gotten actually data to come through. I also know that the original programmer wanted ALL to be in the JOIN for a reason.

I guess I am just looking for information on why I should be expecting these results.

thanks again,
Ronze

Report This Post
<Ronze>
posted
Thanks for your replies!

Susannah,

file3.match IN file3 TO ALL HOLD.att1 IN HOLD J1

file3.match and HOLD.att1 have the same degree, should they also have the same name, should I rename the fields?

CurtisA,

The first place I see the hold table (I guess where it is defined) is within the MATCH. can I do what you suggest before or after the MATCH and not have one over write the other?

Excellent advice!
cc

Report This Post
<WFUser>
posted
You do need the file indexed for JOIN TO ALL but you cannot index a fix file. Do this.

AFTER MATCH HOLD OLD-AND-NEW
END

TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD2 FORMAT FOCUS INDEX att1
END

JOIN
file3.match IN file3 TO ALL HOLD.att1 IN HOLD2 J1

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
susannah

I think this is just a qualified join.

Ronze

I believe this error is because file3 is not in the same sort order as the HOLD file.

Try this

MATCH FILE file1
SUM col1
FST.col2
BY att1
BY att2
WHERE att3 EQ 'EXAMPLE'
RUN
FILE file2
SUM col3
BY att1
BY att2