Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     garbage files after offline report creation

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
garbage files after offline report creation
 Login/Join

<pranas>
posted
Hello,

I've wrote simple report creation on W2K WebFOCUS 5.2.
TEST.FEX is invoked vie edastart scrpt.
After invocation of TEST.FEX I see temproary files :
*.mas
*.ftm
*.t3i
Not deleted.

Simple HOLD option was used. As I understand HOLD should cleanup all temproary files after execution, does'n it?

Is it bug or normal behavior?

Thanks,
Pranas

Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi pranas,

I assume W2K is Windows 2000, if so, we are on the same platform. As long as APP ENABLED is set, you do not have to do any FILEDEF commands, you can you an APP HOLD <filedir> before your focus code, and all 'temp' files will be held there, same concept of the FILEDEF, just a lot less typing. The problem here is, you didn't specify the directory so it created all your temp files in the wfs/bin system directory, which will not clean itself up, so what you are seeing is correct behavior. Are you calling test.fex directly from a .t3i file, called from a .bat file, or issueing from a command prompt command line - what is the actual procedure to launch the fex? What does the code .t3i file look like?

<pranas>
posted
Hello,

Note:
FEX procedure was started via
edastar.bat -x "Procedure"
Invocation.

Temproary files are not cleaned up by system automaticaly, but it is not big problem at all.

Thanks
Pranas

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
If the files are used by the CGI/Servlet at all (e.g., if they get distributed), setting tempfiletimeout to a non-zero value means the middle tier deletes them automatically.

THere's also an AUTO_DELETE parameter in

If they however are server-managed, setting AGENTREFRESH in the EDASERVE.CFG to a low, non-zero value (say, 1) will cause the server to automatically clean up its temp directories after every request (it also causes the agents to recycle after every request and can slow performance). The files will be deleted automatically if you restart the server.

If the files are being stored outside the purview of the temp directories, you'll need to delete them from a procedure.

Hope this helps!

<IBI Sean>
posted
Hi Pranas:

You are correct, the edastart process doesn't cleanup after itself when run with the -t or -x options. So what are you to do?

1) You can create your own bat which calls edastart then performs cleanup at the end (i.e. mystart.bat). The cleanup would be delete commands.

Example: mystart.bat
edastart %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 <br />del *.*
2) I would also recommend doing your test work in a different working directory than EDACONF/bin, which is the default. From the command line simply execute your bat from a different working directory.

Sample Session:
c:
cd \ibi\apps\work
c:\ibi\srv52\wfs\bin\edastart -x "EX TEST"

This will leave the leftover files in your current/working directory.

One last note: If you are simply doing this work interactively and not trying to schedule things or have them run as part of a batch process, then try using the Interactive Agent Tool from the Start Menu. This makes c:\ibi\srv52\wfs\tst the working directory. It still doesn't clean things up, but at least you are keeping work files separate from your configuration directory.

Good luck!

-Sean

Report This Post