Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Dashboard Login Message & Client Site Profile

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Dashboard Login Message & Client Site Profile
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
In the Webconsole, workspace configuation, general tab there is a place for a login message. However when I add that it appears to only apply to when logging into the webconsole, maybe the admin console too. What I want is a message during the BI Dashboard login, that asks if the user is running a report in production or in test and then run a fex that would set the APP PATH to point to the test application if they selected test. I do not have a sperate test server to point to.
Any ideas on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
We have a similar setup. Dev, and multiple testing servers.

We have a custom login page that sets a cookie with the selected path.

The cookie value can then be passed to the fex.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Here is what I was hoping for:
Create a login URL to point to a different directory that would contain whatever files necessary to set the APP PATH TEST; like a different EDASPROF, but the user is none the wiser and still runs their reports 'as normal'. The only difference is that the MFDs are coming from the TEST app.

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
I was hoping that this was as easy as adding a hidden input form object to a custom login page which would be passed as a Dialogue manager variable that could be detected by a fex that sets the APP PATH, but I haven't been able to make it work - the form object does not get passed with a Dashboard login. As Waz suggests, yYou could easily set a cookie with the dev/prod value and that could be passed as a variable.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I hear you, but I'm looking at 300+ reports at least, that owuld need to have the DM code put in, at a minumum a -INCLUDE . I guess the ideal is to have a separate test instance.

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
You could put the include in site.wfs or edasprof.prf, writing it in such a way that it would only affect programs run via Dashboard - default the variable to blank - if it's blank go to exit else do the APP PATH command. Adding it to site.wfs or edasprof.prf would mean no changes to the fexes.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We have a generic fex that is run than preps the environment, it then calls the appropriate fex after setting the APP PATH, and DB connection.

A single point of change.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Funnily enough, an EX pgm-name I put in EDASPROF.PRF just doesn't execute - I don't know what's going on Frowner

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
What happens in the EDASPROF isn't what you would expect. Thing happen very early in the execution sequence. I think this was explained in the forum somewhere.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. My problem is I have been given the admin responsibilty but don't know my way around very much. Could I impose on you to give me a little more direction. When I login into MRE the URL is //.../bid-login?
I am assuming that is the login page I need to add a radio button/check box/drop down list to indicate whether this is a test or prod run. Then I would pass that data in a variable to a fex that would run in site.wfs to set the APP PATH. If you could help fill in the blanks; i.e. code, I need to accomplish I would appreciate it.
I'll even read documentation if it is specific enough. I've looked at the MRE Admin and Security admin manuals but it is not clicking. Thanks

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Rick Man,
I think they're talking about doing the following:

1) Modifying the login page for Dashboard to pass another variable (E.G. ENV=PROD or ENV=DEV)
\ibi\WebFOCUS76\webapps\webfocus76\worp\jsp\WORP_Login.jsp

2) Add something like the following under:
WF Admin Console -> Configuration -> Custom Settings

<IF> ENV.upper EQ "PROD"
_site_profile=&_site_profile\n-INCLUDE PRODFEXNAME
<ELSE>
_site_profile=&_site_profile\n-INCLUDE DEVFEXNAME
<ENDIF>

Alternately, you could do an IF statement for each environment if you wish.

Since the ENV variable is going to be set on logon, it should be stored in WF_USER and therefore be available for all requests. However, if you wanted to be extra sure the value stuck around, you could put something like this in there as well:

<IFDEF> ENV
httpsession=_ENV
<call> CopyWFVarToSessionVar(ENV,httpsession)
<ELSE>
wfvar=ENV
httpsession=_ENV
<call> CopySessionVarToWFVar(httpsession,wfvar)
<endif>

WF 71.x, 76.x, 7701, 8.0 Beta OS: Linux, Win2k3, Win2k, Win2k8, WinXP

Posts: 203 | Registered: November 19, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll look into it.

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
I have to say that, even though stuff like CopyWFVarToSessionVar is documented, the documentation does not describe any practical uses for it - we need an Information Builders Security expert to let us in on the secrets...

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
You are correct, Francis. A practical example: We use it in a special client profile to save and restore credential variables so that drill downs work for our special security scheme. This was set up by IBI Consulting.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,
I ran a lab at Summit on WFServlet Scripting where I used quite a few examples on how to use this stuff. All the examples in the labs were based on real implementations that I helped customers with in different cases when they called Techsupport.
I believe the labs are out there somewhere, I'll see if I can track down where they ended up. If not, I could always e-mail you a copy if you wanted.
There is a lot of cool stuff you can do with WFServlet scripting with a little bit of imagination. Since all of the WFS scripting commands are now documented in the Security and Administration manual, its pretty powerful (Prior to Summit, the Copy***** routines were documented, but a lot of the other commands were not).

Thanks,
Doug Logan

Expert
posted Hide Post
I love documentation and would appreciate receiving a copy of the labs if you can track them down.

Thank you,

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Ok, here are the 2009 labs

The lab I put together is:
"WebFOCUS Core From the Inside Out: Use Scripting to Customize Your Environment"

And the presentation is here .

Thanks,
Doug Logan

Guru
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Looks like its redirecting to the summit default page. Do you by chance have it stored else where?

We are trying to find a way to put a custom header on the WORP_Login.jsp page. I am able to put some static html txt but, would like to put a dynamic variable pulled from a table. Its more like "Message of the day" after you login but only dynamic and before login.

Gurus, Please help!!

Sandbox: 8206.10
Dev: 8201M
Prod:8009

Posts: 289 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: June 11, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Here's a good question for Kerry - how does one get access to presentations from prior summits?

Also, because I "not currently registered for any events" in the 2012 summit, I cannot see any presentations.

When the presentation itself has information that is not available in the documentation, in my opinion it ought to be made public.

Thanks,

Francis

posted Hide Post
I'll second Francis' statement regarding access to former presentations, etc.

Server: 8009; Client: 8009 Refresh; OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit; Web Server: Tomcat; Output Formats: All

Posts: 9 | Location: Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2012Report This Post