Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved in 8201] Active Document as Email Attachment - Excel Export

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved in 8201] Active Document as Email Attachment - Excel Export
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I have an active document. When I run the document from the WebFocus BI Portal or from AppStudio, the Excel export works perfectly fine after adding in the required code:

SET WEBVIEWER = ON
SET AREXPEXCEL = XLSX

However, if I schedule the exact same report to be emailed, and open it up from the email attachment, the export option turns to XML (Excel) and exports it as XML.

Is there something that I am missing?

Here is an example of the code I am using:

ENGINE INT CACHE SET ON
SET PAGE-NUM = NOLEAD
SET EMPTYREPORT = ON
SET WEBVIEWER = ON
SET AREXPEXCEL = XLSX

COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT AHTML
SECTION=Section_1, LAYOUT=ON, PAGESIZE=LETTER, ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT, SHOW_GLOBALFILTER=OFF, ACTIVE_UNITS=PTS, PAGECOLOR=RGB(255 255 255), $
PAGELAYOUT=1, NAME='Page 1', TEXT='Page 1', LEFTMARGIN=0.25, RIGHTMARGIN=0.25, TOPMARGIN=0.25, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.25, $
COMPONENT=Table_1, COMPONENT-TYPE=REPORT, POSITION=(1.041666 1.041666), DIMENSION=(* *), ARREPORTSIZE=DIMENSION, $
PAGELAYOUT=2, NAME='Page 2', TEXT='Page 2', LEFTMARGIN=0.25, RIGHTMARGIN=0.25, TOPMARGIN=0.25, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.25, $
COMPONENT=Table_2, COMPONENT-TYPE=REPORT, POSITION=(1.041666 1.041666), DIMENSION=(* *), ARREPORTSIZE=DIMENSION, $
END

SET COMPONENT=Table_1

TABLE FILE ibisamp/car
SUM CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST
BY CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
BY CAR.COMP.CAR
BY CAR.CARREC.MODEL
BY CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE
END

SET COMPONENT=Table_2

TABLE FILE ibisamp/car
SUM CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST
BY CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
BY CAR.COMP.CAR
BY CAR.CARREC.MODEL
BY CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE

END

COMPOUND END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallway,

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I cannot confirm 100% since it's very technical on how IBI generates the files but my assumption is that :

- when you run directly (from the portal/AS) the "data" is stored in the cache so it's possible to the active technology (AHTML) to download the data into Excel since the data is in memory.

- when you open it from a received email the data as been "sent" (attached in the mail) as in a format that can be managed by the mail service which is as XML format. So once opened, the data can be download to Excel but from the same source as when you open the mail : from XML data.

I end to this conclusion because if you do compare both "view source" of the reports (direct vs mail) the only difference is the following line :

direct execution :
<meta name="ibi-report" content="type=AHTML, records=18, columns=5, iscompound=true, iscache=true, isextjs=false"/>

open from mail :
<meta name="ibi-report" content="type=AHTML, records=18, columns=5, iscompound=true, iscache=false, isextjs=false"/>

Look at the "iscache" option

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What browser are you using to open the Active report? Make sure you test both scenarios with IE.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I've tested it Babak and IE react exactly as Hallway said.

Also react the same way with FF or GG.

I don't think that it' a browser "issue".
The more I think about it, the more I think that I've found the reason as explained in my previous post.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I just tested the code. I do get the XML (Excel) on the export drop down as well, however, when I click it, I get a pop-up about an ActiveX opening Excel and the worksheet opens with the data. I remembered something about the pop-up and here's something I found in the tech support site. Maybe it'll be helpful.

Check these settings in IE

1 - Opened an IE browser.
2 - Look in the browser status bar at the bottom of the browser. In this case
    it states "Internet".
3 - Click on Tools --> Internet Options.
4 - Click on the "Security" tab. Make sure the "Internet" zone is selected or
    what was observed in step 2.
5 - Click "Custom level ..." and scroll down to "Downloads".
6 - Change "Automatic prompting for file downloads" to Enable and click on the
    "OK" button.
7 - If you receive a Warning message about changing this setting, click on the
    "Yes" button.

If the Excel report does not open at this time, look at the Status bar as
stated in Step 2. If it states "Local internet" or "Trusted sites", then repeat
Steps 4 thru steps 7 for that zone.

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post

Joking aside... Thanks for your insight. However our end users can't even enter in their credentials correctly in IE. I know that we would not be able to get them to follow all those steps is setting up their browser. We have instructed our end users to use Chrome because of all of the issues related to IE.

It's frustrating that IBI's big selling point on the Active Document is that everything needed is "all self contained within the document." Apparently this is false.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallway,

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Maybe you can let IB's tech support know that. My suggestion was intended to help you figure out what the problem was not to dictate what browser to use. BTW, I just Opened the html file in Chrome and Export XML (Excel) worked.

Master
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your help BabakNYC. Thank you for your insight.

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BabakNYC:
Maybe you can let IB's tech support know that. My suggestion was intended to help you figure out what the problem was not to dictate what browser to use. BTW, I just Opened the html file in Chrome and Export XML (Excel) worked.

I just saw that you are running WF 8201. So I tested it in our 8201 environment (that we haven't gone live with yet) and it worked. Granted it was still in Excel's 17 year old format (EXL2K not XLSX), but it worked in Chrome.

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs: