Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
kill RC job?
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Is there a way to kill an RC job that is currently running? Through RC console, I can see that the job has a status of RUN. However, the owner of the report believes that the job is hung and wants it killed. I don't see any way to kill the job through the Console. I have gone to Webconsole for the server and I don't see the job there (going to Workspace -> Monitor -> Data Services(Agents)). I don't know where else to look to find this job and stop it. Is it possible to do this? We are on WF 7.6.1 on Windows. Thanks in advance.

WF 7.7/Windows

Posts: 42 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: January 04, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If the job is still running, it would show up on the reporting server console. Are you an admin? If not, that may be why you can't see it. It would show up under the execution id.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I am an admin. When I go to the RC console, I see the job but when I choose it - the Delete choice on the title menu is grayed out. It is only active if the job has a status of Queue.

WF 7.7/Windows

Guru
posted Hide Post
simba,

You could kill the corresponding agent from the server console.

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I went to Webconsole for the server and looked in Monitor Agents and there was no agent showing for this job. I don't know where else to look to find this job.

WF 7.7/Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If it's not in the list of agents, then it's not running on that server - regardless of what anything else indicates.

I never rely on that status in the RC console anyway. If I have two jobs that execute at the same time, it only shows that one of them is running. Go figure.

Do you have more than one WF server that can process a job? Maybe you're going to the wrong WF server's console.

Also, I don't know where the report's owner would get information to indicate that it is hung. If it is from the DBMS, it IS possible that the job is still running in the DBMS, but as far as WF is concerned, the process is gone. In that case, you would have to use a DBMS tool to kill the job in the database itself.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I did wonder what was going on when I didn't see an agent for the job. I was hoping I could kill the job in the RC console.

I am on the correct server - we have 2 servers (prod and dev) and her job is only set up on the prod server. She assumed the job was hung because it didn't complete in a timely manner (take that for what it's worth......). simba

WF 7.7/Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As you indicated, once the job has begun (indicated by RUN status) it cannot be deleted within the RC console - only from the web console. Look at the RC log for that job for further information on problems or errors.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I had checked and there was no log for that job. Then I noticed that the user had disabled the job. I enabled it and then disabled it. When I went to WebConsole for the server, I saw an agent for the job. Then I was able to kill the job. Thanks to everyone. simba

WF 7.7/Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
simba, you might enjoy the technique of typing out a tiny file into the agent, at the top of the fex that will help you identify an agent and know what fex is running.
-SET &FEXNAME = 'MYFEX';
(or use one of the mre variable like &MR_ITEM_HANDLE, if that works for you)
FILEDEF MYFILE DISK &FEXNAME|.TXT
-RUN
-WRITE MYFILE &FEXNAME &TOD WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANT
that way, you'll have a tiny file in your agent named after the fex that is running. Can be very handy.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I always recommend proper naming of intermediate hold files, so instead of H1, H2 etc. I suggest [report id}_H1, [report id}_H2 etc.

Not only will it enable you to see what agent is being used to run what process, but if someone has kindly turned TEMPERASE OFF then if one of your hold files fails your process will not use one created by another process.

If you use a five char report identifier then your hold ifles will normally have eight chars (unless of course you have GT 9 of them Confused).

BTW, I suggest TEMPERASE is only ever used in a dev environment for many reasons.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post