Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     HTML Textbox automatic submission?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
HTML Textbox automatic submission?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I've used the HTML layout painter to create a prompt for a single amper variable in my fex.

Is there any way to make the fex execute when users hit 'enter' on their keyboard, rather than making them tab over to the submit button first?

Many users are even using their mouse to click the submit button, which is slow.

Thanks!

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Capture the onchange event using javascript and then have it call the function that the submit button calls.

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks fernando.

I'm not sure what to do to have it "call the function that the submit button calls"...but I think the rest was very easy...

//Begin function edit1_OnChange
function edit1_OnChange(ctrl) {
// TODO: Add your event handler code here
OnExecute(ctrl)
}
//End function edit1_OnChange

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Master
posted Hide Post
I'm dumbfounded by this problem.
Is there any other way other than an onchange event?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's strange to me why this is a problem. My launch pages do this by default. For example, I have one with three text boxes. Fill in the first box,tab,fill in the second box,tab, fill in the third box, hit enter, and away it goes. I'll have to look and see if I can see anything special in there that would make it do this.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin,

Are your submit buttons of type "submit" or "button"? From your reported experience I would guess that yours are "submit" whilst Jason's might be "button"?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I think something else may be the case here.
I have followed the same road as Jason has (I think), which is to create a html file for a procedure that has a variable in it.
Then the entry box and submit and reset buttons are being created for me. The submit button is of type submit, and hitting the enter key indeed launches the fex. The button is also shown on the page as the default button. I then tried T's hunch, and changed the type of the submit button from submit to button. The button now does not show as default button any more, clicking on it has no effect at all, but hitting the enter key while in the data entry field still gives me the correct report.
So, we still do not know why Jason's enter does not launch the fex, while ours do.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Add this code to you web page, choose an action
where the comments are, add onkeypress = "doEnter()"
to the body tag and hit enter, choosen action shall be performed.
I should point out it will perform anytime someone hits enter (even if they did not
want it to) so I am not so sure this is what you want but it is a working example of performing an action when someone hit enter without using buttons.
<script type="text/javascript">
function doEnter(e)
{
e = (e) ? e : event;
var whatKey = (e.charCode) ? e.charCode : ((e.which) ? e.which : e.keyCode);
	if (whatKey == 13)
	{
		// To get here you had to hit enter so now you can do some stuff.
		// example.....
		//document.forms[0].submit();
		//window.location = "http://SomeFocusSever/ibi_apps/WFServlet";
                  alert("Hey you just hit the enter key!");
	}
}
</script>

7.6.6 Mainframe
7.6.4 Web Focus
Windows

Posts: 45 | Location: Gaffney SC | Registered: March 30, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
GamP,

Normally, if you create the "go" button as a tpye of "button" rather than "submit" you would do so because you want to execute some validation or other type of script before finally executing document.form.submit();.

In my experience I've not had a problem with the enter key acting on the submit button irrespective of what type of button it was.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post