Focal Point
[SOLVED] Disadvantages of using _site_profile

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7237015096

July 09, 2018, 12:02 PM
Rajna Nannat
[SOLVED] Disadvantages of using _site_profile
Hi,

Can anyone list if there is any disadvantages of using _site_profile for any client requests to RS to handle dynamic DB connections based on &IBIMR_domain variable?

Thanks,
Rajna

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows
Excel, PDF, HTML
July 09, 2018, 03:21 PM
dhagen
As long as you take proper precautions to ensure the parameter cannot be changed by a user on the call then you should be fine.

I normally would suggest that you consider using group profiles on the server to establish DB connections. That way they are bound to the ID and are not susceptible to hacking.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
July 09, 2018, 04:30 PM
Rajna Nannat
Hi Dhagen ,

The problem with using group profiles is that we are having so many groups here and it will be tougher to maintain connections designed for each domains to be defined at group level. Hence resorting to _site_profile. I am assuming _site_profile loads just after edasprof.prf and before group profile. For example if in case we have group profile in place it will override both edasprof and _site_profile settings is my understanding.

Thanks,
Rajna

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows
Excel, PDF, HTML
July 09, 2018, 04:47 PM
dhagen
Not quite correct. The execution order is:

edasprof
group-profile
user-profile
site-profile

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
July 09, 2018, 04:50 PM
Rajna Nannat
Also I am hoping the Infoassist procedures will also take this _site_profile settings as it takes the group profiles.

Thanks,
Rajna

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows
Excel, PDF, HTML
July 09, 2018, 05:09 PM
Waz
An alternative, may be to use a universal profile.

This is defined in the client, and executes on all requests.

We use it for DB connections as well, based on &FOCSECGROUP, but could be based on any supplied variable.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

July 10, 2018, 10:44 AM
Rajna Nannat
Thank you Dhagen, for the order of execution . Makes more sense. More to learn everyday !

Thanks,
Rajna

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows
Excel, PDF, HTML
July 10, 2018, 11:54 AM
Rajna Nannat
Hi Waz,

Can you please elaborate as where this universal profile would go physically?

Thanks,
Rajna

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows
Excel, PDF, HTML
July 10, 2018, 05:37 PM
Waz
The universal Profile is set in the Administration Console, under Configuration / Client Settings / General / _unitveral_profile

We used a -INCLUDE to a fex in an app folder on the reporting server.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

July 11, 2018, 09:48 AM
Rajna Nannat
Thanks Waz, I got it. We are already setting up few server and DB parameters in there. Just could not link it in brain yesterday.

Thanks,
Rajna

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows
Excel, PDF, HTML