Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Install Developer studio 7 and 8 on same machine

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Install Developer studio 7 and 8 on same machine
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I have a short time frame where I need to have both Dev Studio 7 and 8 on the same machine. Has anyone been able to run both without using a virtual machine? I thought I had seen some people who did this on the forum a while back, but I can't seem to find the thread anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eric.woerle,

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Eric,

All you need to do is install both versions in the same IBI directory and run c:\ibi\DevStudio80\bin\thisfoci.bat to register the DLLs for DevStudio 8 when needed and c:\ibi\DevStudio7x\bin\thisfoci.bat to register the DLLs for DevStudio 7 when needed.

Robert Bright

Owner, Sr. Business Intelligence Consultant
Bright Ideas Consulting
brightideasbiconsulting@gmail.com

Posts: 14 | Location: Greenwood, IN | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Eric,

You meant to run multiple DevStudio versions on the same machine at the same time? If so, that is not possible.

But, you can have both 7 and 8, run one at time. Its preferred to install 8 first. Also, you might to rename the localhost,need to run thisfoci.bat file when switching between the DS.

How to have multiple DevStudio installations WF7703, WF80

I'll try to help you if you face any issues.

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x

Posts: 406 | Location: India | Registered: June 13, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We've determined that you need to run thisfoci.bat as Administrator.

This is what I've done:

Create shortcuts for C:\ibi\DevStudio7705\bin\thisfoci.bat and C:\ibi\DevStudio80\bin\thisfoci.bat

Get the properties for these two shortcuts and set them to "Run as administrator" (Properties > Shortcut > Advanced... > Run as administrator.

Pin the two shortcuts to the Windows Start bar.

When I want to switch between Dev Studio versions, I run the appropriate bat file then launch Dev Studio.

Meanwhile, I did have a heck of a time installing Dev Studio 8.0.08. One of my colleagues suggested something that worked: install App Studio first, then Dev Studio. In this way, Tomcat and Derby are installed and ready for the Dev Studio install. Somehow my localhost is all messed up.

You really do need App Studio because running Dev Studio 7.x and App Studio 8.x concurrently is the only way to access the code of each environment at the same time. I have absolutely no clue how one would transfer individual Managed Reporting files from 7 to 8.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks Everyone!

Running the thisfoci.bat did it. I actually have both installed in 2 different directories (2 different drives actually). No issues yet with this.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have absolutely no clue how one would transfer individual Managed Reporting files from 7 to 8.

Francis, I think, we can create a environment to WebFOCUS 7.x from DS/AS 8. Can't we?

quote:
I actually have both installed in 2 different directories (2 different drives actually). No issues yet with this.

Yes, it will create the registries in that way.So, no surprises.

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x

Expert
posted Hide Post
DS 7 cannot access WF 8 environments and DS 8/AS 8 cannot access WF 7 environments.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Francis,

The migration tool provided in WF8 should migrate user content as well. Have you used that tool?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm not the one that migrated our code so I may be wrong, but as far as I know, the migration tool migrates everything - you have no way to pick and choose.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
That is correct, it migrates everything. Which I believe is why the suggest migrating to a sandbox, and then into your Dev, or wherever your final destination is. I migrated directly into Dev, but I re-organized the MR, so it wasn't an issue for me. If you need to migrate stuff from PROD, I would recommend setting up a migration/sandbox environment to do so and then using CM to move it. But thats just how I would do it.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Guru
posted Hide Post
As per IBI, you can use workarounds like moving the file to a reporting server & then switch to 8, copy the files wherever they needed or create CM packages to move MR files.

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
We've determined that you need to run thisfoci.bat as Administrator.

Not true. Suffice it to say, there are products on the market that can enable users (such as WebFOCUS application developers) to manage without plenary local admin rights.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't have a clue about "plenary local admin rights"...

Meanwhile, what a bunch of lousy workarounds to copy code from one version to another. post-migration.

It seems ridiculous to me that it is assumed that all work stops when a migration occurs.

I'm busy doing new work on WF 7 and also remedying code in WF 8. Then I have to update WF 8 with my WF 7 code.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
A separate VM may be a better option.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Documentation: How to have multiple DevStudio installations WF7703, WF80

quote:
When switching between multiple versions of Developer Studio, it is necessary
to run a utility called thisfoci.bat, which is available in the \bin folder of
the version you will be using. This is needed to ensure that the required
files from the release you will be using are registered. On Windows 7 machines,
right-click thisfoci.bat and click Run as administrator.

Francis