Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Upgradng to Windows 2008 OS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Upgradng to Windows 2008 OS
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We are currently using WebFocus 7.64. I'm told by our hardware people they want to upgrade our OS to Windows 2008. We are not getting a new server, they just want to upgrade the OS on the current server we are using. Our plan is to NOT reinstall the WebFocus tool. Has anyone done this ? Not sure if the WebFocus tool is going to work after the upgrade to Windows 2008. Support said they don't know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Posts: 69 | Location: OH | Registered: November 09, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I am running on Window 2008, (at least our reporting server is) I really can't imagine having an issues with an OS upgrade. It also depends on your Reporting Server security.

Without knowing your total configuration, the
only thing I can think of is your front end using IIS and Tomcat if that is what you are using. I don't use IIS or Tomcat. I would just becareful of any changes there.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
I would hope you have a test environment that they will upgrade first, and you will have you answer.

If not, then this is risky.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
<JG>
posted
quote:
I really can't imagine having an issues with an OS upgrade

Please Matt get real, this is Microsoft we are talking about.

There are very many differences between 2008 server and previous versions.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We tried installing WF 7.7.03 on Windows 2008 64-bit and it almost works. The one thing that doesn't work is FDS.EXE, which you apparently need to connect to the server using Dev Studio. That executable crashes straight away when launched.

That's probably an incompatibility with 64-bit though.

The problem with WF almost working is that it's 0% useful Frowner

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
JG - I don't disagree on you there.

I have no clue of what type of environment the original poster has, but I know from my end, I have setup environments on Linux and Windows using different front end Webservers and I have not had any problems using 2008.

I was just pointing out some things to look out for, that's all.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Gold member
posted Hide Post
We have been running Developer Studio on Server 2008 64bit for several years. I would suggest a clean install of WebFOCUS rather than relying on it successfully working after an OS upgrade.

Posts: 60 | Location: Ellensburg Washington | Registered: May 22, 2009Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Meagher:
We have been running Developer Studio on Server 2008 64bit for several years. I would suggest a clean install of WebFOCUS rather than relying on it successfully working after an OS upgrade.

Check with your tech rep on licensing. I'm told by ours that I can sandbox all day long and be in scope of our license. If it becomes a production environment, it has to be paid for. YMMV.

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases: