Focal Point
[SHARING] Second WebFOCUS instance on same server?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7257072226

July 16, 2012, 10:12 AM
Curt
[SHARING] Second WebFOCUS instance on same server?
We need to create a WebFOCUS QA environment separate from our Developement environment. Any recommendations would be apprecieated. We're considering a few options:

1. Build a new server.

2. Install second WebFOCUS instance on existing Dev server. I found an old Tech memo, TM4508, explaining how to do this. I'm not sure if it's still supported or deployed by anyone.

3. Create second copy of reporting applications on Dev Server. Point to QA adapter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs
July 16, 2012, 10:20 AM
Alan B
For QA I would always recommend a new server instance on separate machine or VM.

However, be aware that a new license will need to be purchased for any new environment, wherever it resides.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007
July 16, 2012, 10:25 AM
Curt
Thanks. That's my thought too - we just need to sell it to the business. We're new to WebFOCUS and I just want to make sure there's no other effective way of cerating an isolated QA environment.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs
July 16, 2012, 11:26 PM
dhagen
I've got a few customers with Dev and QA on the same box and they are completely isolated from each other. Heck, I've got 3 isolated environments on my laptop. Are you planning on running one or two application servers? If two, then the install will do 99% of the work. You may have to manually deploy the WF web applications. If one, then you have to implement the second WF with a different context names.

All in all, not that difficult to do. And you do not need the tech memo.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
July 17, 2012, 08:40 AM
PBrightwell
I have worked in environments that have had 2 instances of WF on the same server and even 2 different versions.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes
July 17, 2012, 08:44 AM
Curt
dhagen, thanks for the info. If we build the QA environment on the dev box we'd plan to run two app servers. It's good to know the install is not too invloved.

Onother consideration is our dev box is only a dual core. Some of our reports running solo push the cpu to over 50%. I've dabbled with Resource Analyzer to try to figure out if we're inefficient or if that's just the way WF is.

We're still weighing our options.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs
July 17, 2012, 10:54 AM
nd
I've installed a second WebFocus client (2 clients, one reporting server), with TM4595 as reference.

Doing the documentation for what goes where on your systems (paths, ports) before tackling the install steps helped a lot.

WF: WebFocus 7.7.03
Data: Oracle, MSSQL, DB2
Output: HTML/AHTML,PDF,EXL2K FORMULA, COMT
July 17, 2012, 11:59 AM
Alex
Can't tell from your post what OS you're on but you can install multiple environments on any OS just the way you configure will be different on Windows OS vs. Unix or Linux. Basically you would install in independent directories using a different set of Port assignments and you would have to configure independent Web and Application Servers.

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF