Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Second WebFOCUS instance on same server?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Second WebFOCUS instance on same server?
 Login/Join

posted
We need to create a WebFOCUS QA environment separate from our Developement environment. Any recommendations would be apprecieated. We're considering a few options:

1. Build a new server.

2. Install second WebFOCUS instance on existing Dev server. I found an old Tech memo, TM4508, explaining how to do this. I'm not sure if it's still supported or deployed by anyone.

3. Create second copy of reporting applications on Dev Server. Point to QA adapter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
For QA I would always recommend a new server instance on separate machine or VM.

However, be aware that a new license will need to be purchased for any new environment, wherever it resides.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That's my thought too - we just need to sell it to the business. We're new to WebFOCUS and I just want to make sure there's no other effective way of cerating an isolated QA environment.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I've got a few customers with Dev and QA on the same box and they are completely isolated from each other. Heck, I've got 3 isolated environments on my laptop. Are you planning on running one or two application servers? If two, then the install will do 99% of the work. You may have to manually deploy the WF web applications. If one, then you have to implement the second WF with a different context names.

All in all, not that difficult to do. And you do not need the tech memo.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I have worked in environments that have had 2 instances of WF on the same server and even 2 different versions.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
dhagen, thanks for the info. If we build the QA environment on the dev box we'd plan to run two app servers. It's good to know the install is not too invloved.

Onother consideration is our dev box is only a dual core. Some of our reports running solo push the cpu to over 50%. I've dabbled with Resource Analyzer to try to figure out if we're inefficient or if that's just the way WF is.

We're still weighing our options.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I've installed a second WebFocus client (2 clients, one reporting server), with TM4595 as reference.

Doing the documentation for what goes where on your systems (paths, ports) before tackling the install steps helped a lot.

WF: WebFocus 7.7.03
Data: Oracle, MSSQL, DB2
Output: HTML/AHTML,PDF,EXL2K FORMULA, COMT

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Can't tell from your post what OS you're on but you can install multiple environments on any OS just the way you configure will be different on Windows OS vs. Unix or Linux. Basically you would install in independent directories using a different set of Port assignments and you would have to configure independent Web and Application Servers.

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post