Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Trying to take out a set substring from a variable length source string...

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Trying to take out a set substring from a variable length source string...
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hi all,

Has anyone here ever had the scenario where they had a user trying to log into a portal through SSL/https or whatever, and the user had several ways to login, but you as an admin needed to utilize only a portion of whatever way that user logged in by (I'm only wanting the userID portion)?

Example logins:

domain/userID
domain/userID@url.com
userID

I know about STRREP() and TRIM() but they require a source string length. How does one supply such if it is always different? I'm using &IBIMR_user, so could one use something like &IBIMR_user.length?? Is that a thing in WebFOCUS??

Any guidance and insights are much appreciated! Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Coolguy,

I'm confused... In my instance users login through CAS which sits on top of our AD. Users have 3 different IDs they can use to login, but only 1 is passed to WebFOCUS to use for Authorization. in my case CNCTUSR() and IBIMR_user is always the same value. How are you getting different values?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We are trying to get Single Sign-on working and the user passes their AD login into a company login screen, which then now bypasses the BIP login screen entirely if they have the @url.com appended to the end of their user name. Another BI admin is the one working with our other support members to get things working this way. I guess we do our user logins using IIS federation services or whatever it's called. All I know is that I need logic (currently) to take care of whatever the user logging in throws at my screening filter procedures.

Master
posted Hide Post
We are using single sign on as well...

IIS or CAS, you should only be getting one ID back regardless. It might be worth talking to the person who is working on the federated services side to understand what they are passing you. It doesn't make sense for them to use what the user logged in with, but instead, once Authentication is complete to store what is considered the "True" ID of the user. Otherwise all of your other systems would have the same problem when they go to Authorize their users. Makes sense handle it once instead of at each application.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Really good advice from Eric.

Meanwhile, since I worked on it, using Dialogue Manager, here is one way to extract the User ID from the three User ID formats (try each one by un-commenting them one at a time):

-*-SET &IBIMR_user = 'userID';
-*-SET &IBIMR_user = 'domain/userID';
-SET &IBIMR_user = 'domain/userID@url.com';

-SET &USER_ID = GETTOK(&IBIMR_user, &IBIMR_user.LENGTH, 2, '/', 100, 'A100');
-SET &USER_ID = IF &USER_ID EQ '' THEN &IBIMR_user ELSE &USER_ID;
-SET &USER_ID = IF &USER_ID CONTAINS '@' THEN GETTOK(&USER_ID, &IBIMR_user.LENGTH, 1, '@', 100, 'A100') ELSE &USER_ID;

-SET &USER_ID = TRUNCATE(&USER_ID);
-TYPE &USER_ID &USER_ID.LENGTH

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Eric,

I totally agree. Wish I knew more on what gets passed where, and if/where checks are in place. We are planning to get with those involved at some point soon hopefully.

Francis,

Thank you for your example code! I haven't tried it yet, but I bet it works just as well as what I've attempted and gotten to work here:

-SET &IBIMR_user = 'domain/userID@url.com';
-*-SET &IBIMR_user = STRREP(&IBIMR_user.LENGTH, &IBIMR_user, 13, '@url.com', 0, '', &IBIMR_user.LENGTH, 'A40V');
-*-SET &IBIMR_user = STRREP(&IBIMR_user.LENGTH, &IBIMR_user, 4, 'domain/', 0, '', &IBIMR_user.LENGTH, 'A40V');
-TYPE &IBIMR_user
-EXIT

The above seems to do the trick. Thank you so much for your help though!

Now, if we can only get one thing passing to the BI layer instead of several things....that'd be great. lol

Thanks again you guys!

Master
posted Hide Post
Check out this documentation

WF8105 Security Administration

Chapter 7 goes over Authentication. You'll want to find the tool that you are using for SSO and follow its instructions. Depending on how you set yours up, you might need to setup an alternate zone for Developer Studio.

Here I capture the header variables set by CAS and use that for my single sign on. I don't know how you will want to set it up. If I didn't have to be able to accept 5 different CAS instances, I would just connect directly to CAS. Unfortunately... thats not the case.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Eric! I actually gave that manual to the guy trying to figure this all out with Adrian from IBI. Pointed that part out to him.

Thanks for your experience and insights! Will keep them in mind.

Will update this thread once a resolution has been found.

Master
posted Hide Post
Wait, your working with IBI and they don't know how this works? Maybe your not working with the correct IBI resource... Just saying. I know there are people who know this stuff over there...

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't doubt it. We've never really had much luck for the most part with IBI support save for a select few that were great. Hoping this SSO stuff gets ironed out shortly. I've just went ahead and added the logic into the application level like is frowned upon, but simply needed for now until we can get better hold of how this all should work. We are utilizing a 3rd party implementation of IIS federation services or some sort, and no one here seems to understand how it all was implemented. We had an outside source figure it out for us at the time from what I hear. So, now we are reaping the rewards of consulting...