Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [closed] Error parsing Master File with Include

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[closed] Error parsing Master File with Include
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I'm running a simple report, however, when I have an "-INCLUDE" statement I get the dreaded "Error Parsing Master File xx (0)" error. I've perused the forum searching for an answer but have yet to find one that works. I can go in through the text editor to do all my work, but I'm wondering why I receive this error. Any ideas? Below is the code;

-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/PFS_KPIs/pfs_getdate_vars.fex

TABLE FILE PFSAR
SUM
     PFSAR.PFSAR.CHARGES
BY  LOWEST PFSAR.PFSAR.ARTYPDESC
ACROSS PFSAR.PFSAR.POSTPERIOD
ACROSS LOWEST PFSAR.PFSAR.FYMTH
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = IBFS:/EDA/EDASERVE/_EDAHOME/ETC/endeflt.sty,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

Here is the code for the pfs_getdate_vars.fex to be included. Maybe it'll help shed some light:

SET LINES=999999
TABLE FILE PFSRPTPD
PRINT
     VPSTPDFY
WHERE READLIMIT EQ 1
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE HOLD AS 'VARIABLEFY' FORMAT ALPHA
END
FILEDEF VARIABLFY DISK ..\variablefy.ftm
-RUN
-READ VARIABLEFY &CFY.A5.
-SET &PFY = &CFY -1;
-SET &P2FY = &CFY - 2;

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pondog,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 116 | Location: Birmingham, Al | Registered: July 23, 2015Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
PFSRPTPD

Pondog,
Can you post the .mas file. i have found that this usually happens when one or more fields in the table have a format that WF does not like. For example a TX?? is not good.

WF 7.6.11
Oracle
WebSphere
Windows NT-5.2 x86 32bit

Posts: 398 | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hey RSquared, not sure about posting a .mas file. Never done it before. Below is what I have. Let me know if a different view is required; i.e., Field view, Segment View, etc.

FILENAME=PFSRPTPD, SUFFIX=DB2     , $
  SEGMENT=PFSRPTPD, SEGTYPE=S0, $
    FIELDNAME=VPOSTPDDAT, ALIAS=VPOSTPDDAT, USAGE=YYMD, ACTUAL=DATE,
      TITLE='POST PERIOD DATE', $
    FIELDNAME=VPOSTPER, ALIAS=VPOSTPER, USAGE=P7, ACTUAL=P4,
      TITLE='POST PERIOD YYYY/MM', $
    FIELDNAME=VPOSTYYYY, ALIAS=VPOSTYYYY, USAGE=P5, ACTUAL=P3,
      TITLE='POST PERIOD YEAR', $
    FIELDNAME=VPOSTMONTH, ALIAS=VPOSTMONTH, USAGE=P3, ACTUAL=P2,
      TITLE='MONTH POSTED', $
    FIELDNAME=VPSTPDFY, ALIAS=VPSTPDFY, USAGE=P5, ACTUAL=P3,
      TITLE='POST PERIOD,FISCAL YEAR', $
    FIELDNAME=FYPDBEG, ALIAS=FYPDBEG, USAGE=P7, ACTUAL=P4,
      TITLE='FIRST FY,POST PERIOD', $
    FIELDNAME=FYPDEND, ALIAS=FYPDEND, USAGE=P7, ACTUAL=P4,
      TITLE='LAST FY,POST PERIOD', $
    FIELDNAME=FM, ALIAS=FM, USAGE=P13, ACTUAL=P7,
      TITLE='FISCAL MONTH', $
    FIELDNAME=PDSHORTNM, ALIAS=PDSHORTNM, USAGE=A3, ACTUAL=A3,
      MISSING=ON,
      TITLE='MTH SHORT NAME', $
    FIELDNAME=PDFULLNM, ALIAS=PDFULLNM, USAGE=A9, ACTUAL=A9,
      MISSING=ON,
      TITLE='MTH FULL NAME', $
    FIELDNAME=FYFM, ALIAS=FYFM, USAGE=P7, ACTUAL=P4,
      TITLE='Fiscal Year,Fiscal Month', $
    FIELDNAME=V6MTHBEG, ALIAS=V6MTHBEG, USAGE=P7, ACTUAL=P4, $

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pondog,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 116 | Location: Birmingham, Al | Registered: July 23, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I ran into a situation recently where a master file had a USAGE different from an ACTUAL and it was the problem. And yet it was WebFOCUS that generated the master file!

Making the USAGE match the ACTUAL fixed the problem for me.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Pondog,

the issue is with the file used in the -include focexec. it is called PFSRPTPD. please post that one.

WF 7.6.11
Oracle
WebSphere
Windows NT-5.2 x86 32bit

Posts: 398 | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that. I edited my prior post to reflect the PFSRPTPD.mas

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

posted Hide Post
PonDog,
I've run into this here as well (8.1.0.4). The ONE way I have found that works every time is that if the -INCLUDE file has any &ER variables, you must put a -DEFAULT for that &ER variable in the main procedure. If I do that, I've not yet had a problem with the INCLUDES.

I even ran into the issue with a custom footer that we were using. The INCLUDE file only had -SET &ER = statements and it gave me the error every time. I finally just eliminated that one and inserted the text into table1.ftp.

Best practice I've learned through the documentation is to move away from the -INCLUDE files, so we're eliminating most of ours in lieu of data warehouse tables and views.

Scott

Prod: WF 8.1.0.4 platform Windows,
Dev: WF 8.1.0.4
DB: MSSQL & Oracle

Posts: 4 | Location: Upland,IN | Registered: September 17, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Best Practice to move away from -INCLUDE?
Really? Saddest thing I've ever heard....
Modularizing common code IS best practice, and, we -INCLUDE 100's of them; works fine...
Need to figure out why code that works before doesn't work in a newer version,
like:

-MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE whatever
    -MRNOEDIT BEGIN at top of fex
    -MRNOEDIT END at end of fex
    -INCLUDE foldername/whatever.fex with foldername on path
    etc...

When a change occurs, every fex that needs that change will have to be edited, where as, we'll change 1...
Need to figure out the issue, imo...
Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Pondog,

Can you run this and post output and error message:
-SET &ECHO=ALL;  
-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/PFS_KPIs/pfs_getdate_vars.fex
-RUN
TABLE FILE PFSAR
SUM
     PFSAR.PFSAR.CHARGES
BY  LOWEST PFSAR.PFSAR.ARTYPDESC
ACROSS PFSAR.PFSAR.POSTPERIOD
ACROSS LOWEST PFSAR.PFSAR.FYMTH
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = IBFS:/EDA/EDASERVE/_EDAHOME/ETC/endeflt.sty,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

PS: And I couldn't agree more with Tom!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Danny-SRL,

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Danny-SRL,

I can run the code and it runs fine. The problem is that I can't open it "normally"; I have to open it in the Text Editor. If I try to right-click and select open I get the "Error Parsing MASTER File PFSAR(0)." message.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ah!
In what environment are you trying to open?
Developper Studio?
AppStudio?
BIP?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
App Studio.

I can open it fine in Dev Studio, but we're trying to do all our development in App Studio going forward. I personally am more comfortable working in App Studio. However, when it comes right down to it I do most of my work in the code as opposed to the GUI. Still, I don't think this error should be the norm.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

<Emily McAllister>
posted
Hello,

I did a quick search on this issue and found this SPS:
-INCLUDE causes ERROR PARSING MASTER FILE in Report Painter. It's similar to what Scott Haines posted about running -INCLUDES without having -DEFAULTS for the variables.

However, this SPS is for DevStudio which you said opened your file correctly, so the issue might be something else. You may want to open a case on our Tech Support site so that this issue can be investigated further. Please let us know if you do.

Thanks,
Emily McAllister
Focal Point Moderator

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions. At this time the work around is to go straight into text editor, which works for me. If it becomes a major roadblock I'll open a case and revise this post.

Thanks again,
Pondog

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs