Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Odd behavior based on where the code is in the fex.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Odd behavior based on where the code is in the fex.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,

Myself and some colleagues are experiencing strange behavior in our development.
We can have perfectly good tested code in a fex file. But when we run it would give us an error (which one can very). But when we copy and past the exact same code into a different location in the same fex (the code is independent of other code in the fex) or into a new empty fex file it works just fine. This is causing much frustration and lost productivity. I have a clear example.

I have a fex which conditionally select (based on user input) which report "table file" to output. This report was developed months ago and tested. Now, I'm reviewing the program to get it ready for production and the following is occuring.

1. The program is crashing the agent on the run.

Ok, I start putting -EXITs around the code to see where the last "good" execution takes place. Well, that doesn't make any difference because if I put the -EXIT at the very top of the report before any type of table file or &var , any nothing but the starting comments it still crashes the report with a HTTP 500 error.

Ok, that's is odd. So I figured well maybe there is some weird formating error on the file itself. So, I start to re type the code into a new file. That works out just fine until I get to third report option. If I include the third report option and execute so that it executes the second report (which by the way ran just fine before adding the code for the third report) the report errors on an http 500 error.

Has anyone been experiencing similar code parsing issues?

Axion

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.6.10, Windows, Banner 8, Oracle 10g.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Axion, is the focexec very large? This sounds a lot like a case I opened at the beginning of 2008, 40212524. With autoprompting and running from the text editor, some very large programs where failing with an HTTP 500: java.lang.StackOverflowError. Doing the run from the Explorer view did not cause the error.

Does this in any way resemble your situation. The good news about the case was that they were able to reproduce it. The bad news is that I haven't heard that it is resolved. I am running 7.6.5.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ginny,

I'm not sure what you would call large but this particular focexec is 941 lines with stylesheet, comments, etc. All of the interaction with the database is in SQL passthroughs. Some joining between the results from those passthroughs. There are alot of &var in the program to control the program flow and to mold the SQL where clauses.

How did you get around this issue?

Axion

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
third report option

What does that mean?

Also, are you able to run the report with the command
SET XRETRIEVAL=OFF
which runs the code without retrieving data from the database? Do you have -REPEAT commands or GOTO commands? Do you have duplicate dialogue manager labels? How many dialogue manager variables are used in the program? Do you have -READ statements without a -RUN just before one?

These are the kinds of things I looked for in earlier versions of WebFOCUS, the newer, 7.6 versions test for most of this stuff, but it shouldn't hurt to verify these.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Axion, the case is still open. For testing, the users make the changes in the text editor, save the fex, then pop out to the explorer to run it. To my knowledge, the program runs from a browser or HTML launch.

1000 lines is a fairly big fex.

To my knowledge, this problem has not been fixed.

Francis, if he is having the same problem as my users did, it didn't matter which blocks of code were removed from the program to get it to work or fail. I started from the end then jumped up to the middle. It is the strangest thing. The commom element of all the programs (and thankfully there weren't too many) was that they were very large. I am amazed that NY was able to reproduce the problem. I hope one day that it is resolved.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Francis and Ginny,

I went over all of Francis' suggestions. I verified that the labels are correct and everything. There are ~50 &vars in the program. Using the Xretrieval = off didn't affect the report.

I checked the log and it gives the java.lang.StackOverflowError that Ginny mentioned.

But this is just one instance of a slew of issues we've been seeing. Some of which don't even deal with HTTP 500 errors. As I stated in the opening post, some pieces of code which are logically independent from anything else would execute erroneously depending on WHERE in the focexec the code appeared. It's frustrating to deal with and we all feel it would be difficult to trouble shoot with IBI since they would likely think we're nuts.

Axion

Expert
posted Hide Post
Axion, open a case and reference mine. That will give them something to work with so that they won't think you're nuts. Smiler

Ginny

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Opening a case is a good thing. But it will very probably not solve your problem in the short term.
What happens if you switch off the autoprompting feature?
Theoretically it should then bypass the pre-parsing of the code in search of unresolved & variables, and thereby avoid the stack overflow, allowing the process to run and finish in an orderly way.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post