Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Force plus sign in field

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Force plus sign in field
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Hi all,

In a report I have a field which shows the difference ( in % ) between two values:
Say : "Turnover_2009" and "Turnover_2010".

Formula = ( ( Turnover_2010 / Turnover_2009 ) - 1 ) * 100
Format is D7.2%

When the outcome is positieve it's shown as : x.xx%
When the outcome is negatieve it's shown as : -x.xx%

But sometimes this is confusing for our end-users.
( say : Turnover_2009 = 1000 ; Turnover_2010 = 1800 ) ( yes, this happens.. )

Outcome shown is : 80.00%
And now al of a sudden the users think it's an index figure... hence 80% means -20% !

My question:
"
I want to explicitly add a + sign. Is there a "by design" way to do this?
i.e. +80% instead off 80%?

I think I can manage with some computes, but I wonder whether it's already available but I'm missing it..
( an option in de format dialog "Always add sign" would be a nice feature request... )

Greets,
Dave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Sorry Dave

only options are to either show the + as a seperate column or convert to text, concat and right justify

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Here is a working example using FTOA,

SET CENT-ZERO=ON
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
PCT.SALES
COMPUTE SALES_TXT/A20=FTOA(PCT.SALES,'(D12.2%)',SALES_TXT);
COMPUTE SALES_PLUS/A21=IF PCT.SALES GT 0 THEN '+'|SALES_TXT ELSE '-'|SALES_TXT;
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
END
-EXIT

Posts: 542 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: June 03, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ram, a made a tiny adjustment to your sample code because a double minus sign is displayed when a value is negative (i.e. --20.00%) and a value of 0 is displayed as -0.00% which may or may not be desired.

SET CENT-ZERO=ON
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
COMPUTE PCT_SALES/D20.2 = IF COUNTRY EQ 'JAPAN' THEN -1 * PCT.SALES ELSE PCT.SALES; NOPRINT
COMPUTE SALES_TXT/A20=FTOA(PCT_SALES,'(D12.2%)', SALES_TXT);
COMPUTE SALES_PLUS/A21=IF PCT_SALES GT 0 THEN '+' | SALES_TXT ELSE SALES_TXT;
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
END

- Neftali.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Master
posted Hide Post
mmmyes...
That does work... Smiler

But since it's not a numeric field anymore I can not use any kind of Totals. Frowner

For now, thanks. Case closed.

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
But since it's not a numeric field anymore I can not use any kind of Totals

You're right about that. You cannot RECOMPUTE nor SUMMARIZE the percentage because it is now a text field but what you can do is using a RECAP to calculate the total variance and then a SUBFOOT to display it along with any other totals you need. I know, that's a little extra work and you won't get nice borders around your subfoot components but hey, at least the +/- signs are going to be there Wink

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you really need plus signs in front of your percentages, here is a way to do it using JavaScript. This only works for HTML output. The technique is stolen from this post by Francis Mariani:

http://forums.informationbuild...=284102792#284102792

The COMPUTE is simply a means to produce a couple of negative numbers in the output. Since the percentage column contains only numerics during the WebFOCUS processing phase, you can still SUMMARIZE the column.

SET CENT-ZERO=ON
DEFINE FILE CAR
 SALES/D12.2 = SALES ;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
  SUM PCT.SALES NOPRINT
  AND COMPUTE PCTSALES/D6.1% = IF (PCT.SALES LE 15) THEN (-1 * PCT.SALES) ELSE PCT.SALES ; AS 'Sales %'
   BY COUNTRY AS 'Country'
   BY CAR AS 'Car'
   ON TABLE SUMMARIZE
   ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT HTMTABLE
END
-RUN
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<html>
<head>
<script language = JavaScript>
function addPlus()
{
 var td = document.getElementsByTagName('td');    /* search for 'td' HTML tags */
 for (i=0; i<td.length; i++)                      /* for instances where a td tag is found... */
  if (td[i].innerHTML.indexOf('%')     >= 0  &&   /* if the HTML text after the td tag contains '%' */
      td[i].innerHTML.indexOf('-')     != 0  &&   /* but not '-', to exclude negative values */
      td[i].innerHTML.indexOf('0.0')   != 0  &&   /* and not '0.0', to exclude zero values */
      td[i].innerHTML.indexOf('100')   != 0  &&   /* and not '100', to exclude the total */
      td[i].innerHTML.indexOf('Sales') != 0)      /* and not 'Sales', to exclude the column title */
    td[i].innerHTML = '+' + td[i].innerHTML ;     /* then add '+' to the front of the HTML text */
}
</script>
</head>
<body onload='javascript:addPlus();'>
!IBI.FIL.HOLD;
</body>
</html>
-HTMLFORM END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Satchell,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dave
maybe you can add a column heading that says....
Delta....
Even the less smart user will understand it is not an index but the difference in percentage...

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank...

Current column heading is "delta... " ( dutch: verschil... ).
But they're used to always see a + or - .

We're now moving all BI to WebFOCUS. And 'OH !.. Panic' it's not exaclty the same, I don't understand it anymore Music

<JG>
posted
quote:
Even the less smart user will understand it is not an index but the difference in percentage...

Do your users use Excel?

I have to guess that very few of them do because you never see a + in a numeric or percentage column in Excel.

The only way in Excel and most other spreadsheet programs to display a +ve sign is to use a custom format.
That then dispalys a negative as -+nn.mm% meaning it does not work.

Send your users back to school.

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Yes, back to school is the best solution...
( excel, pdf, paper, everyhting is used.. )

only bad feeling I have:

The old BI-tool we're moving from has this ability since ages.. ( custom formats ).
It's kinda hard to explain to the big bosses how this new $++ BI-tool doesn't support it. Wink

P.S.
How can I close this topic?

Expert
posted Hide Post
To close a topic on this forum, click the icon of your original post. You can modify the title here.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
use color.
blue for positive
red for negative
or use style
bold for positive
italic for negative
or use font

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
susannah,
Now that's called thinking outside the box! Great suggestions. Good One

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Formula = ( ( Turnover_2010 / Turnover_2009 ) - 1 ) * 100
Format is D7.2%

OR Brackets for negatives:

D7.2B%

then color them in RED as Susannah suggested...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i agree, Dave
LEAD='+'
TRAIL='%'
and my favorite...
TRAIL='pp' (for second differences)
are features in a very old econometric model building software that i used...it went away along with the economy... but it was bliss on a stick!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
All,

Thanks for the many suggestions.
Colors, brackets, style, extra column containing a + or a -.

These are all workarounds that we figured out ourselves also.

Thing is... 'they' are used to a certain format which I can not achieve with webfocus.

Colors is nice, but not after it's been printed with a black-white printer!

etc.
Feature request:
instead of : MYFIELD/D7.2% = ...
I like to use : MYFIELD/+D7.2%/-D7.2% = ...

( first being the format for positieve, second for negative values )

in an extreme example:
MYFIELD/Great D7.2% !/this is bad D7.2% bummer = ...

Nice Thread

<JG>
posted
unfortunately no % sign

SET CURRSYMB ='+'
-RUN
DEFINE FILE CAR
NSEATS/D10.2= IF COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND' THEN SEATS *(-1) ELSE SEATS;
AFMT/A8=IF NSEATS GT -.00001 THEN 'D10.2M' ELSE 'D10.2'
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
NSEATS/AFMT
BY MODEL
END

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
SET CURRSYMB ='+'

oh man, that's just brilliant!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Good thinking!

Tiny bit of a problem with totals and subtotals: since the format of the subtotal field is taken from the previous row's field when using dynamic formatting - when the last row is negative the + currency symbol is not displayed. Red Face

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post