Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Upgrade from 8201M to 8206

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Upgrade from 8201M to 8206
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hello Folks,

I would like to do my first WebFOCUS upgrade. Currently we are running 8201M and we will move over to 8206. Have any of you done this upgrade (specifically 8201M to 8206)?

And more generally, I've read IBI's suggestions regarding upgrading versions, but is there anything else I should be considering?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8201, SP 0.1, Windows 7, HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Shingles

That is the perfect document to use, it has links to the more detailed release notes and installation guides.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shingles:
but is there anything else I should be considering?

Time to test back every single options that exist in your report/dashboard.

It happens, "sometime", that a working functionality on a previous release, does not on a newer one.
IBI cannot always test all possible options from the tool. So, "sometime" one falls into the crack and have a bug.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MartinY:
Time to test back every single options that exist in your report/dashboard.

Agreed. Every upgrade we've done, we've had numerous existing reports break (IMHO IBI relies on us to do a lot of its beta testing).

Also, watch the forums for issues. There have been a lot of post recently that are specific to 8206.

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies...

Would anyone care to share their 'Upgrade Plan'? I'm doing my best to pull one together, but if there was a template I could follow that would help.

Thanks again folks!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hey Shingles,

If I were in your shoes, I would create a test environment, if you don't already have one, and test all your content and all product features you think you'll be using in that environment before upgrading your production environment. Then, you'll have an idea of what you should do next....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolGuy:
Hey Shingles,

If I were in your shoes, I would create a test environment, if you don't already have one, and test all your content and all product features you think you'll be using in that environment before upgrading your production environment. Then, you'll have an idea of what you should do next....

Ok, thank you...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shingles,

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Shingles,

Um... thanks again...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shingles,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
...and now I think I might know why Francis Mariani and a few others have disappeared from the forums as well... RIP...

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and now I think I might know why Francis Mariani and a few others have disappeared from the forums as well... RIP...

IMHO...
It's almost like FocalPoint is slowly wading away from being a platform with a fixed set of rules and heading toward taking on the legal liabilities of being a publisher.

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Shingles I got the following reply from product management...

We are glad to hear of your interest in upgrading to the latest release and want to support you in doing so. In addition to the upgrade map that you noted earlier, I can provide the following information here and we will be reaching out to you directly to follow-up on how we can support your upgrade query.

In 2019, Information Builders has been working to improve the migration and upgrade experience for all customers, largely based on the experiences and feedback we’ve received from our community. With Release 8206, we offer the ability to upgrade in place from 8.1.05 and higher, with all security, config files and application content respected, i.e., no need to migrate or modify this content. Upgrade customers typically perform the upgrade-in-place in a Test environment, run through regression testing of their applications and content, and then roll the environment into production. You can view the upgrade steps for your release, using the WebFOCUS and ReportCaster Installation and Configuration guide for your platform ( Windows or Unix ).

Additionally, our new WebFOCUS Agile development model targets incremental, cumulative releases approximately every two to four weeks, and includes both maintenance enhancements and new features that customers can consume as they become available or in a timeframe that works best for their organization. To learn more about the latest release WebFOCUS 8206.03, see Release Notes . You can also send additional questions to Customer_Success@ibi.com, and one of our representatives will follow up with you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I would hold off a bit. I went from 8.2.02M 3 weeks ago in my Dev environment and I still have not got things running. My filter pages have stopped working and my radio buttons do not show their values it just blank grey or white buttons with no text right now. I have working diligently with IBI to figure out why and no solution yet to the filter issue. I am planning on rolling back to 8.2.02M and going to 8.2.04 instead at the end of the week.

WebFOCUS 8.2.02M
Windows
Server/8.2.02M
All Outputs

Posts: 43 | Location: Odessa, Florida | Registered: July 26, 2011Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Preach, bruh. Wink

I wasn't whistlin' Dixie in my original post. I promise. Music They're on attempt 19 for 8205 as we speak. Probably aren't getting enough free beta feedback from their paying customer base is the problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

Master
posted Hide Post
We are running virtual SUSE Linux servers on and IBM mainframe. We are having issues upgrading to 8206 because of Tomcat. From what I understand, all of the mainframe software is current and up to date but the version of Tomcat that 8206 wants is not supported, it is too new.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post