Focal Point
[CLOSED] Combine Variables

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7317061196

March 06, 2019, 06:35 PM
OutOfElement
[CLOSED] Combine Variables
Hey all,

Sorry for the very simple question but I wasn't able to find anything through searching. I have two date variables residing in different data sets and want to combine the two variables into one variable.

Here is the exact situation. I have the Job Start Date of employees in two different databases. One database covers data from 2011 and prior, and the other covers 2012 and onward. I have joined the two databases based on the employee ID. Now I want to combine the two Job Start Date variables into a single, new variable so I can display the job start date in one column instead of needing two separate columns.

I've tried using Job_Start_Date_Old U Job_Start_Date_New but this give me an error saying "(FOC224) SYNTAX ERROR: U(IA_190306_154527-1)". Both variables are in MDY format so I'm not sure what's going wrong.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,
March 07, 2019, 05:08 AM
Addy
Hi,
If both the tables are identical and you want to merg the data then use MORE (Union All) instead of join and that should solve your problem.

If the empolyees in both the tables are same (i.e. Inner Join) then just refer one of the field.

othewise you can create a DEFINE field something like this;

DEFINE FILE [TABLE NAME]
COMBINE_JOINING_DATE/MDY = IF Job_Start_Date_Old IS MISSING THEN Job_Start_Date_New ELSE Job_Start_Date_Old ;
END

TABLE FILE [TABLE NAME]
YOUR CODE
COMBINE_JOINING_DATE
END

WF 8.2.04
Windows/Unix
All Formats
In Focus since 2006