Focal Point
[CLOSED] How to extract data from mainframe FOCUS to Flat file

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7367084686

May 23, 2017, 08:59 AM
Sureshkuamr Murugesan
[CLOSED] How to extract data from mainframe FOCUS to Flat file
Hi Team,

I just want to know the list of possible ways to extract the mainframe FOCUS DB data to flat files into windows system.

Please let me know what are all the possible ways to extract data and put it in a flat file like notepad, csv etc.,

Regards,
Suresh

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.0.05 - BI Portal, Developer Studio, Dev/App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5, Adobe Flex Builder, VBA
May 23, 2017, 09:06 AM
MartinY
Open a new report, go to Output Format and take a look at those available, it's a god start.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007
May 23, 2017, 09:39 AM
BabakNYC
Create a report on MF FOCUS that prints all the fields you want and at the end of that report add an ON TABLE HOLD AS whateverfilename FORMAT ALPHA.

This will create a text file with fix formatted columns of all the fields you have in your report. You can also use FORMAT COM or COMMA or COMT depending on what you want the output to look like. The best place to start learning the syntax and find examples is in the doc. Search for HOLD here http://documentation.informati...te77/mf_create77.pdf

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
May 24, 2017, 01:56 PM
dhagen
Let's not forget that you are going to have to allocate the file prior to table request otherwise it will be created in temp space.

Then you will have to download the file and MASTER using either FTP or ConnectDirect.

Then you have to uncatalog the file on the MF to free up the disk space. This will keep the mainframe team off your back ... but they are old like me, so they are easy to outrun.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
May 25, 2017, 07:08 AM
Hank W.
Also, what is the intention here? I mean what are we using the flat files for? Say you have some hideously ancient venerable legacy database on FOCUS with rows going past the excel limits, you'll need to remember you can't open those files if you just dump everything 'as is'... If you have a WebFOCUS on the windows, then reading them off the FOCUS and writing into an XFOC db, or MS SQL or even Access...

Making a text extract in itself is pretty elementary - the role of the MF FOCUS and the 'what' will reflect on the 1001 crazy and insane ways you CAN do it - vs. the one or two ways that are feasible, and doesn't upset the morlocks MF admins. Also remembering the cost structure of MF.

Cheers,
H.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Oracle 11g - DB2
RedHat
May 25, 2017, 11:49 AM
dhagen
quote:
Originally posted by Hank W.:
hideously ancient
morlocks MF admins.

Hey! Just because we - quite rightfully Smiler - hold the keys to the kingdom doesn't give you the right to mock us!

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
May 28, 2017, 11:28 AM
Doug
Smiler
quote:
Hey! Just because we - quite rightfully - hold the keys to the kingdom doesn't give you the right to mock us!
Cute, but I agree with Darryl.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206