Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Scheduling a Server Recycle at Midnight on Windows

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Scheduling a Server Recycle at Midnight on Windows
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Hi

I am just wondering if anyone has a bit of code or how people recycle their servers at night.

I have to say that the server and client software is very stable and on production we never had a problem, but with test server we get the occasional problems because the code is more likely to contain bugs that create infinite loops or crashed agents.

The plan is to issue a reboot once a week at the weekend and I just wondered what others do about this.

John

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think you could use windows task management to do just that.
With that standard windows tool you can schedule either a batch job which will first stop and then start the server again.
You can do that using the NET STOP [servicename] and NET START [servicename] commands.

Hope this helps...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This is valuable information that I've never bothered to look up, so thanks a lot GamP.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
GamP,

Have you tried that? I would think that once the server stopped that the script could not execute the start command.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Pat,
Yes I just tested it.
You do have to give the server a bit of extra time to completely shutdown, say something like 5 extra seconds. And then it starts up again.
My bat file looks as follows:
net stop "WebFOCUS 76 Server"
wait 5
net start "WebFOCUS 76 Server"

The wait command calls a small piece of freeware software called wait.exe that does exactly what you expect - it waits (in this case) for 5 seconds.
And this can be added to the windows tasks without a problem.

Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We run 3 WebFOCUS servers on 3 continents and have made it a Standard Operating Procedure to restart them around midnight local time every day. We've been doing this for more than 7 years through several iterations of server hardware and IBI software in each location.

The server is restarted by a simple Windows process, a Control Panel Scheduled task that runs "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -f" starting in "C:\WINSOWS32" run by WebFOCUS's 'master' UserID (the one we used to install IBI's software).

This technique has served admirably to housekeep all the 'trash' from crashed agents.

Midnight, is an slow time of day when RCaster is more or less inactive with few jobs scheduled. We don't worry about Windows killing RCaster when a job is in process because our lookback setting of 3 days will detect, after the restart, that the job was submitted by RCaster to an agent for processing and was never returned 'completed', so RCaster just dispatches it again to one of the new agents.

7.6.4 supports sending e-mail notifications when any of 4 events happen (see Server Console > Workspace > Configuration > Notification). We have all 4 turned 'on' and have discovered that this schedueled restart is accompanied by Java issuing an error e-mail with subject "JSCOM3 special service crashed".
We've given each server a unique e-mail 'From' ID (see see Server Console > Workspace > Configuration > E-Mail) and send these JSCOM3 messages, and those from the other 4 notification types to an e-mail group that monitors the WebFOCUS application. The same-time-every-day appearance of 3 JSCOM3 e-mails tells us that all the platforms are running OK. An e-mail at any other time says something's wrong and a server had to 'auto-restart'. Those we investigate.

Chris

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My question is why do we have to schedule a WebFOCUS Server restart every night? I am talking about us as a group and not me specifically. Have any of you figured out the real reason why this is necessary? It makes a big difference in performance to restart the WebFOCUS Server periodically, but it seems odd to have to do this.

Posts: 22 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: March 29, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It cleans up memory for one thing.

On our Unix platform, there is some caching going on and when a new user id, especially an application id, is added to the box, often the reporting server won't know about the id until the server is restarted.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Very late but to assist with cleaning up during the working day

add

crashed_cleanup = on

to edaserve.cfg this will cleanup as best it can, any resources left hanging by crashed agents.

Advantage is much less rubbish in edatemp. Disadvantage is that you must set it to off to take traces etc.

Report This Post