Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]How do I move *just* user content from Version 7 to Version 8

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]How do I move *just* user content from Version 7 to Version 8
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
We're in the middle of an upgrade and the initial migration took place last July. Now we've greatly transformed the user's dashboards into portals and a lot of the individual materials within them.

So here we are about to turn on Version 8 and I need to take one last pull of the end-user content from InfoAssist from version 7 for migration to version 8. It's going into different domains because of our transformation.

Question 1 -- Does the migration tool allow you to pull just the end user reports and associated Reporting Objects?

Question 2 -- If not, is there a way to do it manually? When I do a copy and paste the old fashioned way I get this error -- "Cannot include resource specified auditing/mrv/taris_reporting.fex".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Answer to Q2: You can do it manually. The error you are getting is due to the fact that WebFOCUS8 does not allow you to specify a relative path. You must use the full path. So instead of
quote:
auditing/mrv/taris_reporting.fex

You should use the full path IBFS:/WFC/Repository/auditing/mrv/taris_reporting.fex

Hope that helps.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've changed it to this and it still doesn't work:

-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/AuditingPortal/taris_reporting.fex

Published it. I must be close, but something keeps resulting in "Cannot Include resource specified" errors.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Do you have more relative paths somewhere else in the fex? Are you 100% sure that you specified the full (and right) path?

I have found that sometimes if I rename something it only changes the display value rather than the actual value.
If you right click any report and select "Properties" you should see the exact full path.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
First of all, doh! The include line is in multiple places in the file. This is the connection to the Reporting Object in version 7 and it has sets of code like this:

-* Begin MR Suffix -*
-SET &SECTION='SUFFIX';
-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/AuditingPortal/taris_reporting.fex
-* END MR Suffix -*

That's it with the updated reference which I have verified is correct. So now I don't get an error, but it won't open via the Portal interface either.

I have the Reporting Object in the AuditingPortal folder, but I don't think it knows it's a Reporting Object. I have a year's worth of user-generated reports that I need to find a way to get across to the new server, into new Content folders. Updating to version 8 is hard. It may be easy in the lab, but it's hard in the field.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes, we ended up manually moving all of ours over Sweating

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
App Studio running slow and "whiting out" doesn't make it any easier.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I sure would like to hear how you did this, because I just spent the time to recreate one of the Reporting Objects (because I can't figure out how to import one) and when I connected it up to an existing report built from it in Version 7 it puked on it. So I don't yet have a solution on how to bring over Reporting Objects and the user-created content derived from them without blowing away our new content and get them moved to the new directories.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Unless your code was developed using the text editor I don't think you can manually copy content from V7 to V8. You can try but I wouldn't be surprised if problems arise. In order to get your current V7 content over to V8 I'm afraid you're going to have to go through the same steps you went through last July which means having to modernize all that code again. You can bring over a domain's worth of data at a time. The instructions are in the migration manual. It took us a few months to go from V7 to V8, and during those few months any code that was changed in V7 had to have the same changes made to the V8 content to keep everything in sync.

8.8.09 - z/Linux (WF, Report Caster, Report Library).
Iway FFS on MVS (HFS)

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: December 05, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
John,

I have absolutely nothing to help you, but reading your dilemma reminds me of one reason why I gave up on programming last April and am now training to be a flight instructor: My old boss kept telling me "I'm not paying you to do trial and error. You are supposed to know this stuff and should be able to tell me exactly how long it will take to get implemented ..... ".

Flight training - in fact any kind of flying - is all about trial and error, thank goodness. And the errors are mostly not black and white, such as missing a semicolon - or forgetting the absolute path.

I'm altogether happier now !

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post