Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Coordinated Compound report with other, non-BY values

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Coordinated Compound report with other, non-BY values
 Login/Join

posted
I'm very new to WebFOCUS. I come from a Crystal reports background. I'm trying to do a master/detail report, which FOCUS seems to call a Coordinated Compound report. I might even be able to convince my users to use a drill-down/drillthrough report, but the limitation for them seem to be the same as for coordinated compound reports. My trouble is that the manual quite clearly states that the two reports must be coordinated by the first BY field. My problem is that this report also needs to be sorted in subtotal order, with the subtotal appearing in the subhead, for which I've used the technique presented here: Sort on the subtotal combined with the technique presented here: How to display subtotal in subhead. I don't yet know the sample data well enough to provide a good example of what I'm trying to do, so here is a poor one:
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES NOPRINT
COMPUTE HEADSALES /D15.2 = SALES ; NOPRINT
BY HIGHEST TOTAL SALES 
BY COUNTRY
PRINT SALES
BY HIGHEST TOTAL SALES NOPRINT
BY COUNTRY 
BY HIGHEST SALES NOPRINT
BY CAR
ON COUNTRY NOPRINT SUBHEAD
"Country: <COUNTRY Total Sales: <HEADSALES"
END 

Now, for each detail line in the master report above, I need to print a detail report, which basically passes in the country and car and prints out the list of comments about that country and car from another table, sorted by date. In Crystal, I could pass into my detail report, any column from the master report (whether or not it actually appeared in the report). However, there are no numbers in that other table, so as far as I can tell, I can't use the coordinated compound report at all.

At first, I thought that I might be able to use hold files, looping, and regular compound reports, as discussed here: PDF with REPEAT but then I don't see how to get back my sorting by subtotals, not to mention that I may have to have two levels of subtotal. I'd sure appreciate any ideas anyone has. Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bcunnin,

Prod and Test: WebFOCUS 7.6.10 Windows under Tomcat outputting HTML, PDF, MS Excel

Posts: 3 | Location: Tulsa, OK, USA | Registered: August 20, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You might consider using a standard drilldown approach to accomplish the task. Using your example:

-* SUMRPT.FEX
TABLE FILE CAR
 SUM SALES NOPRINT
     COMPUTE HEADSALES /D15.2 = SALES ; NOPRINT
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 PRINT SALES NOPRINT
       COMPUTE XSALES/D15.2 = SALES ; AS 'SALES'
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 BY HIGHEST SALES NOPRINT
 BY CAR
 ON COUNTRY SUBHEAD
  "Country: <COUNTRY Total Sales: <HEADSALES"
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
  TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=XSALES, FOCEXEC=DETAILRPT (COUNTRY=COUNTRY CAR=CAR SALES=XSALES), $
 ENDSTYLE
 ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END 

The drill-down report (DETAILRPT.FEX in this example) could include a link for returning to the summary report, like this:

-* DETAILRPT.FEX
TABLE FILE CAR
 PRINT
  COUNTRY
  CAR
  MODEL
  BODYTYPE
  SEATS
  DEALER_COST
  RETAIL_COST
  SALES
 WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&COUNTRY'
 WHERE CAR EQ '&CAR'
 WHERE SALES EQ &SALES
 HEADING
  "Back to Summary"
  " "
  "Detail Report"
  " "
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
  ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, $
  TYPE=HEADING, LINE=1, SIZE=8, JUSTIFY=LEFT, FOCEXEC=SUMRPT, $
  TYPE=HEADING, LINE=3, SIZE=14, JUSTIFY=CENTER, $
 ENDSTYLE
 ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I must have gotten drill downs and drill throughs combined in my head, as I was under the mistaken impression that I couldn't do a drill down without a coordinated compound report. Now all I have to do is sell the drill down to my users. Thanks again!

Prod and Test: WebFOCUS 7.6.10 Windows under Tomcat outputting HTML, PDF, MS Excel

Posts: 3 | Location: Tulsa, OK, USA | Registered: August 20, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
On another note, I tried this report using standard compound reports and nested looping through the contents of files. As a focus newbie, it took way longer than I thought it should because apparently, there are two versions of the loop code, one is shorthand for when there are no DM statements in the body of a loop, just report (table file) commands, and the regular long way that is in the DM reference manual. As there were no examples of nested loops on the forums, I'm putting it here in hopes that it will help someone. However, the performance is probably bad, and I'm also not reusing my & variables, so that makes it even more inefficient, so you might think twice about using it.
SET BYDISPLAY = ON

-* the hold files weren't looking like i expected, so I put them where 
-* i could see them easily
APP HOLD BASEAPP
TABLE FILE CAR 
SUM 
	DEALER_COST
	BY HIGHEST TOTAL DEALER_COST NOPRINT
	BY COUNTRY 
-* couldn't get this to work
-*ON TABLE SAVE AS dssown FORMAT COMMA
ON TABLE SAVE AS CARLO FORMAT ALPHA
END
-*OUT_CNT is short for outer count
-SET &OUT_CNT = &LINES ;
-SET &CNTR = 0 ;

-REPEAT LOOP &OUT_CNT TIMES ;
-* CARLO is short for car loop outer
-READ CARLO NOCLOSE &OUTER.A10. &OUTTOT.A7. &JUNK.A7.
-TYPE 'outer'
-TYPE &OUTER
-TYPE 'outtot'
-TYPE &OUTTOT
-SET &CNTR = &CNTR + 1 ;
-*SET COMPOUND = OPEN
-SET &CMP_FLG = IF &CNTR EQ &OUT_CNT THEN 'CLOSE' ELSE IF &CNTR EQ 1 THEN 'OPEN NOBREAK' ELSE 'NOBREAK' ;
-TYPE 'cmpflg'
-TYPE &CMP_FLG
SET COMPOUND = &CMP_FLG
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM 
	DEALER_COST/D12.2M AS 'Dealer cost sum'
	BY COUNTRY AS 'Country'
WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&OUTER'
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN, PAGESIZE='Letter', LEFTMARGIN=0.250000, RIGHTMARGIN=0.250000,         
  TOPMARGIN=0.250000, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.250000, SQUEEZE=OFF,
  ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT, $
ENDSTYLE
-*ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT DHTML
END

-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM 
	DEALER_COST 
-*	COMPUTE HEADNET /D15.2 = SumOfNET_AMT ; NOPRINT
	BY CAR
-*PRINT 
-*WELL
-*-*WELL_NAME
-*-*PAYCM_ID
-*-*SumOfNET_AMT
-*BY HIGHEST TOTAL SumOfNET_AMT NOPRINT
-*BY WELL_ID NOPRINT
-*BY PAYCM_ID NOPRINT
WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&OUTER'
ON TABLE SAVE AS CARLI FORMAT ALPHA
END

-RUN
-SET &IN_CNT = &LINES ;

-TYPE 'wellcnt'
-TYPE &IN_CNT

-*pool is loop spelled backwards
-REPEAT POOL &IN_CNT TIMES ;
-* CARLI is car loop inner
-READ CARLI NOCLOSE &INCTY.A16. &JUNK3.A7. &JUNK4.A7.

-TYPE 'innerowner'
-TYPE &OUTER
-TYPE 'inner cty (country)'
-TYPE &INCTY

SET COMPOUND = NOBREAK
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM 
	DEALER_COST 
-*	BY WELL_ID 
	BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
	BY CAR
-*PRINT
-*WELL_ID
-*WELL_NAME
-*PAYCM_ID
-*SumOfNET_AMT
-*BY HIGHEST TOTAL SumOfNET_AMT NOPRINT
-*BY WELL_ID NOPRINT
-*BY PAYCM_ID NOPRINT
WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&OUTER' AND CAR EQ '&INCTY'
-*ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
-*ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT DHTML 
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
   SQUEEZE=OFF,
$
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

-POOL
-CLOSE CARLI

END
-LOOP
-CLOSE CARLO

posted Hide Post
Thank You Bcunnin

Your example helped me.

Webfocus 7.7.04, Windows, HTML,Excel , Active PDF, Active HTML, Flex Enable