Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE OPENED] Corrupted files with 0 bytes

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE OPENED] Corrupted files with 0 bytes
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

We just started to have issues with some of our files suddenly becoming 0 bytes and blank when trying to open the file in either App Studio or BI Portal. Strange thing, one of the corrupted files successfully ran via a ReportCaster job last night. I searched the IBI web site for any answers to this issue, but only found suggested solutions relating to WebFOCUS version 7.x. We are on WebFOCUS 8.1.04. Our DBAs did not find any issues with the database and our Linux system has plenty of disk space and memory. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Linux, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Linux guy, so I'm just going to throw it out there. The only time I've seen files do this is when you have virus protection looking at a folder and it's wipes the file out from under the product.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server

Expert
posted Hide Post
We have seen files go zero length during export/import but not like this.

Could there have been some sort of DB connect issue ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We constantly have zero byte files - fex and html files that are in the Repository or reporting server - this occurs upon save from an internal text editor, external text editor or a GUI. We have had a case open for at least six months, with not ETA to a solution.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I use EditPlus as my text editor - it has its own backup facility, so I can always find my updated code - no need to rely on the integrity of the Repository...

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This has something to do with a two-step update process - first delete the file then add the file. The apparent reason for the failure of adding the file has to do with credentials being lost between the the two steps. The apparent reason for this whole behaviour has to do with opening a new Internet Explorer window (outside and nothing to do with Developer Studio). Doing this apparently creates a new "session id", so Dev Studio gets confused. Why Dev Studio needs an Internet Explorer session id is anyone's guess, and it took six months to get this far - with no solution in sight. A suggested test is to only open Internet Explorer from Dev Studio - by running HTML pages and fexes from the Dev Studio Explorer tree or opening BIP from the BIP button in one of the toolbars. In this manner there is only one 'session id'. I feel this is an unreasonable request, as I most likely will inadvertently open a new Internet Explorer window from outside Dev Studio sometime during the day.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Here is a trap for bulk players.

Don't edit 30/40 fexes in the external editor (Edit Plus) and then save them all, some saved, App Studio crashed and the rest seems to go 0 bytes.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I am one of the "bulk players". I learnt the Save All issue the hard way - in my case, editing multiple files in the external text editor and then clicking Save All almost always saved the code of one file into all the other files - so I would have multiple files saved with the same code! I now save one by one, counting to five in between. I do not believe this to be an EditPlus problem, but a Dev Studio problem.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not believe this to be an EditPlus problem, but a Dev Studio problem.

I totally agree, Francis.

I still think that App Studio (8.1 version) is in its infancy. Hoping all the angst will ease over time.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

posted Hide Post
Things are getting worse. Now I am unable to do anything (edit, security, etc.) with any of the files in the Application Directory via the BI Portal. I get a 'Item does not exist' message. I can, however, access them via App Studio and the Reporting Server Console. I opened a case with IBI Support yesterday, but so far, no solution in sight.

Pat

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Linux, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
We have had this issue with DevStudio since 7.6 (several years -still happens in 7703) and ending up building an hourly backup and zero byte warning monitor as a work around.

8.2.03 AIX Client Windows Tomcat
DB2, Terradata, SQL, Oracle

Posts: 56 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas USA | Registered: January 27, 2012Report This Post