Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Delete a Hold file during report processing

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Delete a Hold file during report processing
 Login/Join

posted
Hello!

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed, but I had no luck when I searched the forum. I have a fex that creates a series of HOLD files. The report would look something like this:

TABLE FILE A
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD_A
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE HOLD_A
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD_B
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE HOLD_B
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD_C
END
-RUN

To make a long story short, in order to save on disc space (as these are large hold files) is there a way to delete HOLD_A before TABLE FILE HOLD_B is processed, as I would no longer need the HOLD_A file any longeR?

I know once the report completes, these hold temp files will be deleted, but there is concern about disc space while the report is running.

Thanks!
Mark

Version = 7.1.3

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
you can always do a filedef clear and then do an operating system erase/rm the local directory from where your running is where the files will be and you are probably most concerned with the .ftm files

you can always do a DIR/LS followed by a -EXIT with SET ECHO=ALL to see what is in the agents directory.

hth,

drew

WF 7.6.6 Linux, FOCUS 7.8 zOS

Posts: 46 | Location: San Francisco, California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
grab the name of your agent directory
then filedef that specific hold file
then issue a specific delete command
-SET &MYPATH = TEMPPATH(40,'A40');
...then i have to get rid of the extra spaces
...there's probably an easier way to do this
-SET &AL = ARGLEN(40,&MYPATH,'I2') -1 ;
-SET &LAL ='A'|&AL;
-SET &MYPATH = SUBSTR(40,&MYPATH,1,&AL,&AL,'&LAL');
..now concat your filename on to it
CMD ERASE &MYPATH|\MYFILE.FTM
..or
CMD ERASE &MYPATH|\MYFILE.*
..to get rid of the master as well.
I'm guessing you're on windows, so the CMD ERASE is what i use. If not, nuke however you like.
I do this in all my agents, expecially big looping jobs, where i want to make sure i nuke before rebuilding the same interim files for another loop iteration.
So, i understand your sitch, and totally agree with your efforts

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
And how about re-using the name HOLD_A instead of creating a new HOLD_C from HOLD_B. Would that not cause the old HOLD_A to be overlaid with the new one automatically ?

Case in point -
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT SALES MODEL SEATS
WHERE COUNTRY EQ 'ITALY'
ON TABLE HOLD AS H1
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE H1
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS H2
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE H2
SUM SALES
ON TABLE HOLD AS H1
END
-EXIT

Just wondering,
Sandeep Mamidenna.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
yes true, but not a Best Practice
there's a possibility that (if error occurs) you will reread the original H1.
So Mark's thinking is spot on!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
We do this a lot. In our environment I do:

TABLE FILE A
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD_A
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE HOLD_A
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD_B
END
FILEDEF HOLD_A CLEAR
-RUN
-UNIX rm hold_a*

TABLE FILE HOLD_B
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD_C
END
FILEDEF HOLD_B CLEAR
-RUN
-UNIX rm hold_b*

I learned a long time ago on PC-FOCUS for DOS, that it is wise to clean up as you go.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post