Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Get current temp directory

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Get current temp directory
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I'm playing around with an ad-hoc procedure that will write and then read from an external file.

If I FILEDEF a specific file in one of my application directories a possibility exists for multiple users to be writing to and reading from the same file. I thought there should be a system variable that points to the current temporary folder - which I believe is user specific, but I can't find such a thing.

Any suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: George Patton,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I use "./myfilename" in filedef, to specify a file located in the temp directory.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
If you are not using Filedef hold files will be staying in Session temp directory with the session name.
if you are using filedef or app hold it will be placed accordingly.

IBIC_user - WebFOCUS logged on user (reporting server ID)
IBIMR_user - The Managed Reporting user ID.

Thanks
Krish

Windows XP
HTML

Posts: 64 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 04, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi George,
Use FOCCACHE, it's user specific, and, no worries about others reading/writing and no need to know/identify the path...
Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You can use the function TEMPPATH to get the location of the temp directory.

e.g.
-SET &TEMPPATH = TEMPPATH(80,'A80');
-TYPE &TEMPPATH

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Patton:
First of all, thanks for all the suggestions! It took me a while to get back to this and here are the results.

Krish: I'm not using Managed Reporting so your solution is out, unfortunately.

All 3 of the solutions from Jack, Tom and Waz worked beautifully. Smiler

Jack's:
FILEDEF * CLEAR
FILEDEF PEOPLE DISK './people.txt'

? FILEDEF
-GOTO DONE

Gives:
Lname        Device   Lrecl Recfm Append     Filename
 ============================================================
 PEOPLE        DISK        0 V                ./people.txt

The ? FILEDEF doesn't say where the physical file is stored, but it turns out to be in the expected temp directory.

Tom's:
FILEDEF * CLEAR
FILEDEF PEOPLE DISK 'FOCCACHE/people3.txt'

? FILEDEF
-GOTO DONE

Gives:
 PEOPLE        DISK        0 V                FOCCACHE/people3.txt

This turns out to be physically in: /home/iadmin/ibi/srv77/wfm/edatemp/foccache/ip000626010>

Waz's:

This is the most complex programatically, but does have one advantage in that the location is obvious without digging around on the server:
-SET &TEMPPATH = TEMPPATH(80,'A80') || 'people2.txt';

FILEDEF * CLEAR
FILEDEF PEOPLE DISK &TEMPPATH

? FILEDEF
-GOTO DONE 

Gives:

PEOPLE        DISK        0 V                /home/iadmin/ibi/srv77/wfm/edatemp/ts000013/people2.txt

Thanks again everyone!

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post