Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Blank Variable Check

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Blank Variable Check
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi All,

I am having an issue where I am trying to look at a variable and identify if it is not filled and is blank. If it is blank I would like to pass a section of the code as shown below.

SQL DB2 SET ISOLATION NC

-IF &TEAM_UPD EQ '' THEN GOTO NEXT_1 ELSE GOTO TEAM_START; 
-TEAM_START

ENGINE DB2 SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION Y
SQL DB2
UPDATE WFUSRFLE/BUY_TBL_GL SET TEAM = '&TEAM_UPD'
WHERE UNQID = &UNQID_UPD;
END

-NEXT_1
-IF &BNAME_UPD EQ '' THEN GOTO NEXT_2 ELSE GOTO BNAME_START; 

-BNAME_START
SQL DB2
UPDATE WFUSRFLE/BUY_TBL_GL SET BNAME = '&BNAME_UPD'
END

This works with the exception of when I enter a 0 in &TEAM_UPD or &BNAME_UPD as it skips those update statements even though I want to update the field to 0. The reason this is happening is because the -IF statement is returning a true value for the ''=0 and skipping the update statement.

I figure I need to use a Missing/Null/Blank command instead of the '' as part of my IF statement but none of those are working and I am at a loss for how to define that correctly in the dialogue manager.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance for taking a look.

-Luke

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Luke Forster,

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
Very good question - why is a zero being treated as a blank?
-SET &TEAM_UPD = '0';
-SET &BNAME_UPD = '0';

Why are these being treated as a blank, they look like multi-character strings to me?
-SET &TEAM_UPD = ' 0 ';
-SET &BNAME_UPD = ' 0 ';

-SET &TEAM_UPD = ' 0. ';
-SET &BNAME_UPD = ' 0. ';

-SET &TEAM_UPD = ' 0- ';
-SET &BNAME_UPD = ' 0- ';

-SET &TEAM_UPD = ' 0+ ';
-SET &BNAME_UPD = ' 0+ ';

Some code:

-SET &TEAM_UPD = '0';
-SET &BNAME_UPD = '0';

-IF &TEAM_UPD EQ '' THEN GOTO NEXT_1 ELSE GOTO TEAM_START;

-TEAM_START
-TYPE INSIDE TEAM_START / &TEAM_UPD / &BNAME_UPD

-NEXT_1
-TYPE INSIDE NEXT_1 / &TEAM_UPD / &BNAME_UPD

-IF &BNAME_UPD EQ '' THEN GOTO NEXT_2 ELSE GOTO BNAME_START;

-BNAME_START
-TYPE INSIDE BNAME_START / &TEAM_UPD / &BNAME_UPD

-NEXT_2
-TYPE INSIDE NEXT_2 / &TEAM_UPD / &BNAME_UPD

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
IBI had to find a use for ASIS:

-SET &TEAM_UPD  = '0';
-SET &BNAME_UPD = ' 0 ';
-IF &BNAME_UPD EQ ASIS(&TEAM_UPD) GOTO ONE;
-TYPE TEAM_UPD: &TEAM_UPD EQ BNAME_UPD: &BNAME_UPD NOT TRUE
-QUIT
-ONE
-TYPE TEAM_UPD: &TEAM_UPD EQ BNAME_UPD: &BNAME_UPD TRUE
-EXIT

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tom, thanks for the reminder! I've used ASIS before but forgot all about it! Pretty silly but valuable function.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That and .EVAL are needed now; YES, silly!!!

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
It's almost as if a zero evaluates to "false" and two single quotes also evaluates to "false"... two false boolean values tested for equality gives a "true".

Ya learn something new every day, I guess...

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I added the ASIS function to the update procedure and it is now working. Thanks so much for your help, I would never have been able to figure that out by myself.

I will mark this as solved.

-Luke

SQL DB2 SET ISOLATION NC

-IF ASIS(&TEAM_UPD) EQ '' THEN GOTO NEXT_1 ELSE GOTO TEAM_START; 
-TEAM_START

SQL DB2
UPDATE WFUSRFLE/BUY_TBL_GL SET TEAM = '&TEAM_UPD'
END

-NEXT_1
-IF ASIS(&BNAME_UPD) EQ '' THEN GOTO NEXT_2 ELSE GOTO BNAME_START;