Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Learning Maintain

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Learning Maintain
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone,
I am new to maintain development and I would like a good starting point to learn it. Is there a specific guide to learn the maintain language and how to develop applications using maintain?
Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ali,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
http://infocenter.informationb...aintain%2Fopener.htm

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a specific guide to learn the maintain language and how to develop applications using maintain?

The link that CG gave above is a good reference but I would suggest looking into structured training courses. Contact your local IB office to enquire what is available.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
The previous company I worked for paid for Mark (IB Maintain Guru) to come and worked with me for 2 days. It was money well spent. From then on I was writing maintain apps without a problem.

It may not have been a cheap visit, but 2 things came out of it.

One we were not setup correctly and he knew that right away. So he got support to fix that issue right away. If I was doing it myself, it would have taken me for ever to explain to support it was a setup problem not me.

Second as usual the first project a company wants is the most complicated. By having him help me with a very complicated application, I learned a lot more than I would in a formal class.

There had been a lot of other visits/help from IB and Mark was by far the best that we had. No fooling around and he made sure you knew how to do something. Any questions I had after he left, he answered almost immediately.

Good Luck

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Posts: 341 | Location: Pembroke NH/Jericho NY | Registered: June 15, 2011Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jay Smiler

Ali - As stated, there are some good online getting started tutorials. I always recommend getting some training. While Maintain is not a complicated tool, it is always good to get off on the right foot. You may also be able to find labs from previous Summits online.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help.

Ali

WebFOCUS Developer Studio 8104 / Windows 7 / HTML and Excel

posted Hide Post
Hello everyone,
Thanks again for your suggestions. I tried to follow the tutorial(FanClub) in webfocus content help section but when I reach the part that I deploy and run locally, it gives me two errors and they are:
(FOC03847) MntEX Compile failed for fanclub/Start
(FOC03704) Cannot find the file : fanclub/Start.MNT :.

Any ideas why this is happening?
Thank you CoolGuy for suggesting the help content.

Ali

Master
posted Hide Post
This error can mean a lot of things.
1) Make sure there are no syntax errors in the code
2) Make sure that when you look in the Maintain folder for fanclub, in Dev Studio, that Start is included in the project
3) Edit your Edasprof and add fanclub to your app path

If none of that helps, open a case with help desk.

Mark

posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark! It's working now. The problem was that the fanclub folder was not in the app path.

I have another question I hope that I get an answer for. I created a form that has a stack which accepts input from end users. I added the fannames data source to the project. When I deploy and run locally, I enter various data in the text boxes and click add. I get no errors after that. Correct me if I'm wrong, the data that I entered is stored locally in the stack and then is to the data source (fannames)? If that is the case, where can I view the data I entered?
Thanks,

Ali

Master
posted Hide Post
Ali
If you create a Maintain procedure and use Fannames (MAINTANI FILE FANNAMES) then yes, Maintain will read and write to that data source.

Your INCLUDE statement should look something like: INCLUDE SSN FROM STK where STK is the name of the stack that you have populated the fields with.

If you want to see the data that you have entered you can either just perform a TABLE against the database or you CAN display the records on the Maintain form. To retrieve and display records from FANNAMES you can have the case:

CASE GET_RECORDS
REPOSITION SSN
STACK CLEAR SHOWSTK
FOR ALL NEXT SSN INTO SHOWSTK
ENDCASE

Then place an HTMLTable on the form and populate it from SHOWSTK and show SSN, LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME, etc...

When you perform case GET_RECORDS you should see the data in the HTMLTable.

Mark

posted Hide Post
Thank you Mark,
I will try to create another form and use case GET_RECORDS.
Thanks everyone for pointing me to the right direction. Your suggestions were very helpful.

Marking this post as SOLVED.

Ali