Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     passing parameters with a -INCLUDE

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
passing parameters with a -INCLUDE
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
First off I want to thank those who responded to my earlier question regarding counts.

Secondly I have read the documentation regarding my next issue and I know that it says that parameters do not get passed with -INCLUDE.
However the desired result is to get the values in the print statement below to be passed to a second fex. I would prefer to do this because we are trying to standardize our prompts for the workgroup that we are in and maintain some consistency and be able to reuse an "external procedure". So Im trying to pass the values from my statement below to a separate fex.

This may not work and if it does not I am willing to creatively explore other possiblities. Hoswever I would like to preserve if possible the idea of having this data creation external to the fex producing the actual results so that we can reuse.

My first attempt was using -INCLUDE and it did prompt me, however I would like to use the 'TERMNOW' TERMYRAGO and TERMYRAGO2 against the TERM from my data source so that i can do 2 year comparisons aginst last year and 2 years ago. I will have to do dates also but, i figure If i can get the terms to work I can get the dates to work also following the same logic.

Im sure its something simple that someone else has done before, but I often get pulled off projects like this to create a new report and then have to backtreack to where I began. A little guidance goes a long way.

geoff

DEFINE FILE SUBTERM
TERMCHAR/A9=EDIT(SUBTERM.SEG01.STVTERM_CODE, '9999$$');
TERM/A9=EDIT(SUBTERM.SEG01.STVTERM_CODE, '$$$$99');
TERM_YR/I9=EDIT(TERMCHAR);
TERM_YR_INT/I9=TERM_YR - 1;
TERM_YR_INT2/I9=TERM_YR - 2;
TERM_YR_MIN1/A9=EDIT(TERM_YR_INT);
TERMCALC/A18=TERM_YR_MIN1 || TERM;
TERM_YR_MIN2/A9=EDIT(TERM_YR_INT2);
TERMCALC2/A18=TERM_YR_MIN2 || TERM;
TERMYRAGO/A9=TRIM('L', TERMCALC, 12, '0', 6, TERMYRAGO);
TERMYRAGO2/A9=TRIM('L', TERMCALC2, 12, '0', 6, TERMYRAGO2);
TODAY/YYMD=&YYMD;
YRAGOTODY/YYMD=DATEADD(TODAY, 'Y', -1);
MTAGOTODY/YYMD=DATEADD(TODAY, 'M', -1);
2YRAGOTDY/YYMD=DATEADD(TODAY, 'Y', -2);
END
TABLE FILE SUBTERM
PRINT
SUBTERM.SEG01.STVTERM_CODE AS 'TERMNOW'
SUBTERM.SEG01.TERMYRAGO
SUBTERM.SEG01.TERMYRAGO2
TODAY
MTAGOTODY
YRAGOTODY
2YRAGOTDY
WHERE SUBTERM.SEG01.STVTERM_CODE EQ '&STVTERM_CODE.(FIND SUBTERM.SEG01.STVTERM_CODE,SUBTERM.SEG01.STVTERM_CODE IN subterm).Pick Term.';
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
INCLUDE = endeflt,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

809 DevStudio, MRE, Report Caster , Report Library
Output: Excel PDF, HTML

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If you use -INCLUDE to run another FEX then all $ variables remain active. You do not need to pass anything.

If you use EXEC to run the other FEX then you need to pass the specific & values you want to be avaialb le in the called FEX.

Posts: 140 | Location: Adelaide South Australia | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
you're trying to save the value the user selects from his/her 'Pick Term', and pass that on, is that right?
typically we write our fex on the car file or on ggsales or some file we can all understand , then replicate your issue.
What Adelaide says is, of course, dead right. but your actual question is still a mystery, as you have only 1 &var and no visible -INCLUDEs

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You can use the -PROMPT DM function, and change your TABLE request accordingly
-PROMPT &VAR1.(FIND COUNTRY IN CAR).Pick a country.
-PROMPT &VAR2.(FIND BODYTYPE IN CAR).Pick a body type.

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR MODEL
BY COUNTRY
WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&VAR1';
WHERE BODYTYPE EQ '&VAR2';
END

You could make a fex that has the -PROMPT and include it on as many other fexes that need those variables.

Now if you need to drill down from the report, that is a different subject.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DBADiaz,

Release: DevStudio 7703
Outputs: HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It appears that I need to add some more to the conversation. From the replies I have received it seems I will have to change

SUBTERM.SEG01.STVTERM_CODE AS 'TERMNOW'
SUBTERM.SEG01.TERMYRAGO
SUBTERM.SEG01.TERMYRAGO2
TODAY
MTAGOTODY
YRAGOTODY
2YRAGOTDY

to &fieldname in order to pass to another fex so my next step is to change
2YRAGOTDY to &2YRAGOTDY and so on for all the others to &

Am i correct? and if so how is that done. This may be something I have done before but, i am not recognizing it in this context..

Thanks for the responses.
geoff

809 DevStudio, MRE, Report Caster , Report Library
Output: Excel PDF, HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
ah
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY IF COUNTRY IS 'ENGLAND'
IF RECORDLIMIT IS 1
ON TABLE SAVE
[or ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT ALPHA]
END
-RUN
-READ SAVE &MYTHING.A10

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post