Focal Point
Rcaster Address Book maintainence

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7481009852

November 26, 2007, 04:48 PM
KenWGNA
Rcaster Address Book maintainence
I have several hundred rcaster burst address book values needing to be managed. I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction for a mgmt concept for high number of burst values that would still be accessable via the webfocus rcaster burst reporting method.

Can I use some kind of external DB to manage my distribution lists that would still be accessable by the report caster burst feature? (like ms/sql or ms/access ?) thx

Ken
November 26, 2007, 04:56 PM
newtofocus
You can try using the distribution file to burst out reports.

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM
November 26, 2007, 06:10 PM
Darin Lee
going a little further on that last thought, you can dynamically create a distribution file that RC can use - so whether you build it on the fly (as in a pre-processing step) or you store names/addresses/burst values in the DB of your choice, it can be done. Storing them in another DBMS lets you use whatever management tool you want. This, of course, assumes that you are licensed to read that DBMS as a WebFOCUS data source.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
November 26, 2007, 06:48 PM
susannah
you can read the bot***.foc files directly, and write a modify routine, depends on what database you decided upon for your caster repository. To get started on reading your own bot***.foc files, read this
BTW, Caster can use mailing lists set up on your exchange server, which (one hopes) someone in personnel handles for you..

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
November 26, 2007, 07:41 PM
KenWGNA
Re:
>>
BTW, Caster can use mailing lists set up on your exchange server, which (one hopes) someone in personnel handles for you..
>>

This sounds interesting. Can you clarify a couple things on that note. Would I be able to utilize an exchange server distribution list AND the rcaster burst dist method? That would be optimal I think if posible.. thx so much.
Ken
November 26, 2007, 09:40 PM
susannah
don't know. to burst, you need two values, the burst value in the report followed by the address.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID