Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Moving files from development to production

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Moving files from development to production
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
We have had a lot of issues with moving things from development to production within in Dev Studio. We are on version 7.67. What is the best way to move these files and/or whole domains? We are pretty new to WebFOCUS and Dev Studio. It seems to get confused when we are signed into both environments.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03M
OS/400 and the client is Win7

Master
posted Hide Post
We are on 7.6.8 and I sign in to both dev and prod from Dev Studio. I haven't tried copying a domain, but I can copy a fex(es) or master(s) just by doing a right click and selecting copy and going to my production server selecting the domain and right click and paste.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

We have had webfocus for some time. In our environment our test and prod webfocus servers are in 2 different data centers. We have found the best way to manage movement of code within the MRE is to use the MRE Change Management utility. (It is found on the homepage server/ibi_apps/homepage.jsp You run the extract which creates a zip file this file is then moved to the utilities/cm/load directory on the production server and the MRE change management load is then used. This preserves domain and std rpt group names so that they remain consisted between test and prod.

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you...i will give the change managment a try

WebFOCUS 7.7.03M

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

we have 4 different zones ( Dev, test, beta, production). We do our deployment using regular filesystem copy.
Depending on how clean your development is, you could copy the whole "domainname"-folder to the other machine or do this just the first time and then only copy changed items.
But you have to be careful with the "domainname".htm-File!

WF 7.6.6 (MRE,BID, DevStudio, partly RC) on Windows 2003 /Apache/Tomcat
Output: HTML,Excel,PDF,PPT
Adapters: SQL Server, DB2, Oracle

Posts: 38 | Location: Austria, Linz | Registered: June 19, 2009Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Your development environment configurations, metadata, connection names should match your production environment. You can copy the fex files, but it is not IBI recommended way of moving the reports or domains. You should alwayse use change management.

Also, I will recommend that only administrator should be able to move new fex and domains to the production system. If less hands are involved, you will have lesser problems in your production environment.

WebFOCUS 7.6.10
Windows
HTML

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Computix:
Hi,

we have 4 different zones ( Dev, test, beta, production). We do our deployment using regular filesystem copy.
Depending on how clean your development is, you could copy the whole "domainname"-folder to the other machine or do this just the first time and then only copy changed items.
But you have to be careful with the "domainname".htm-File!

I have tried this and that is where we have problems. Maybe because both environments are on the same box?

WebFOCUS 7.7.03M

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I got the change managment tool to work, but it seems to be a manual process. Once I create the zip file, it places it in a directory in test. The when I sign into production to try the upload, it is not there. I have to manually go behind the scenes and move the file to the correct place sense there is not a browse option. Could this be correct?

WebFOCUS 7.7.03M

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes it is and that is one of our major complaints with the tool We have had a new feature request in for this for ages and we keep getting told next release. They have the ability to pick the file up in dashboard change management and it works like a charm. But we have to move the file manually in Managed Reporting change management. Frustrating. The good part is though that all the domainname.htm files get updated correctly so you don't end up with any missing code or having to edit that file on your own. Also even with the manual copy of the zip file it does work much smoother then any fully manual method.

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post