Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [TECHNIQUE] Turning text 45 degrees in Excel output

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[TECHNIQUE] Turning text 45 degrees in Excel output
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
FOCUS nation:

We have a client who would like to rotate the text in ACROSSCOLUMNs 45 degrees so that is it readily printable. (PDF does not work here since there is no way to wrap PDF text.)

1.) Is there a stylesheet that can rotate the text 45 degrees clockwise?

2.) For the IBI staff - is this a function that might be available in a soon-to-be released version of Developer Studio or Report Assistant?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Posts: 238 | Location: Atlanta, GA/Rehovot, Israel | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if it works with across, but you can wrap text in a column using PDF.

TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=P6, POSITION=6.50, WRAP=3.45, $

Lenny

Posts: 104 | Location: Boston | Registered: April 23, 2003Report This Post
<JG>
posted
In 7.1 you can use Excel Templates (VB macro scripts) to set the text orientation for EXL2K output format.

In 5.x that option is not available as standard. However I have developed a method for including Excel macro's into any version of WebFocus supporting EXL2K, EXL2K FORMULA and EXL2K PIVOT.

I am in the process of preparing an article for publication at the moment and will submit it as soon as it's finished.

If you want a preview copy send me a message with your e-mail address

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
John - your notes were very good but do not help us at this site. Basically, what we need is some style sheet setting like

TYPE=TITLE,
FONT='ARIAL',
SIZE=5,
JUSTIFY=CENTER,
ORIENT=-90, Roll Eyes Confused
$

which would equate to rotating the conventional Excel 2000 titles by 90 degrees similar to the display option when opening an Excel 200 spreadsheet.

Posts: 238 | Location: Atlanta, GA/Rehovot, Israel | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Sandy, It's a pain but the only way your going to get rotated text in Excel is to use a macro. WebFocus just cannot pass through the required formatting. Even in 7.1 it�s not going to be possible which is why they�ve introduced template support.
If it�s possible for you to send me a copy of the .xht file I can take a look at it for you.
If the content of the report is confidential generate a copy with garbage content, don't save it in Excel because that changes the internal structure of the document.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Sub Column_Titles()
'
' Column_Titles Macro
' Macro recorded 10/12/2010 by Sanford Kadish
' Headings copied over to the Spins header
' Take - tilt 45 degrees and copy over
' additional centering

Sheets("Sheet2").Select
Range("E1:J1").Select
With Selection
.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
.VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
.WrapText = True
.Orientation = 90
.AddIndent = False
.IndentLevel = 0
.ShrinkToFit = False
.ReadingOrder = xlContext
.MergeCells = False
End With
Range("E1:J1").Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Over - Under Price Analysis").Select
Range("I19.N19").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
End Sub

Sandy Kadish
Dev: 8.2.04- PostgreSQL
Test: 8.2.04 - PostgreSQL
Prod: 8.2.04 - PostgreSQL

<JG>
posted
Hey Sandy, 5 years 8 months to reply to a post.

That has to be a record.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sandy for sharing the technique with all.

FYI, this is also possible using external CSS (Cascading Style Sheets):
DS:Column titles in an ACROSS to be displayed at an angle?

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
<JG>
posted
quote:
FYI, this is also possible using external CSS (Cascading Style Sheets):

Yes, but that's not EXL2K format.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
My current position requires some very intricate VBA macros for EXL2K output. I recommend a webinar on macros.

What say ye all? (Being from the Southern Tier: What do ya'll think 'bout that?)

Sandy

Sandy Kadish
Dev: 8.2.04- PostgreSQL
Test: 8.2.04 - PostgreSQL
Prod: 8.2.04 - PostgreSQL

Master
posted Hide Post
Being from another part of the world ( i.e. not north nor south ) I say : "This has nothing to do with WF. It's Microsoft technology. Get your info there..."

And yes.. a style-item:
TEXT-ROTATION:
would have been nice.

With the introduction of EXL07 ( binary ) it might even be possible.

I still wonder.. .css and exl... really not possible?

greets,
D

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
<JG>
posted
quote:
. I recommend a webinar on macros.

Got to say I agree with Dave.

Need Microsoft training goto Microsoft Need IB training goto IB.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Based on Kerry's suggestion:

SET PAGE-NUM=NOLEAD

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES/D10 AS ''

BY COUNTRY
ACROSS MODEL AS ''

ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT HTMTABLE

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN, SQUEEZE=ON, ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT, $
TYPE=REPORT, GRID=OFF, FONT='ARIAL', SIZE=9, $
TYPE=TITLE, STYLE=BOLD, $
TYPE=HEADING, STYLE=BOLD, HEADALIGN=BODY, $
TYPE=ACROSSVALUE, CLASS=headstyle, $
ENDSTYLE
END

SET HTMLFORMTYPE=XLS
-RUN

-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<style type="text/css">
.headstyle
{
mso-rotate:45;
vertical-align:bottom;
height:175;
}
</style>

!IBI.FIL.HOLD;
-HTMLFORM END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
But note that, when you specify FORMAT HTMTABLE to TABLE, it has no clue that the output is for Excel. Any syntax or semantics specific to EXL2K (e.g., BYTOC handling) is bound to fail.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post