Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved] Space character is displaying ?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] Space character is displaying ?
 Login/Join

<Vipul>
posted
I have a wierd issue - any suggestions are welcome.

This is my code:

DEFINE FILE CAR
SP/A1 = HEXBYT(160, 'A1');
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT SP
COUNTRY
HEADING
"END
-RUN

The sp on my machine displays as '?' It used to work (display spaces). The same code on my coworker shows the spaces correctly.

Vipul

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kathleen Butler,

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
SP/A1....

It's fine for me under 4.3.6. Shows space.

Perhaps your browser has a different default language. In ASCII the 160 under extended is actually the a with the ` above it.

I know when we went from mainframe to ascii world we had an issue with conversion using the CTRAN function. Had to change the number we were using.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
<Vipul>
posted
Got it fixed. As suspected it was IE setting. View->Encoding->Auto Select did the magic.

Vipul

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Leah,
I have just come across this when moving code from 7.7.2 to 7.7.03. The CTRAN function is now displaying an a with a ` above it whereas before it was blank. What no. did you change to 160 to ?
Regards,
Ian

quote:
Originally posted by Leah:
SP/A1....

It's fine for me under 4.3.6. Shows space.

Perhaps your browser has a different default language. In ASCII the 160 under extended is actually the a with the ` above it.

I know when we went from mainframe to ascii world we had an issue with conversion using the CTRAN function. Had to change the number we were using.

Posts: 196 | Location: London, UK | Registered: December 06, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In UNICODE, 160 (hex 00a0) is assigned to the non-breaking space ('&nbsp;').

In extended ASCII, 160 (hex A0) is assigned to á (a with accute accent).

I would guess what changed is the meta directives WF inserts in the generated HTML page, not the behavior of CTRAN.

To steer clear of the issue, you can use the standard ASCII,EBCDIC,UNICODE code for (breaking) space, decimal 32.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Many thanks J.Gross for your suggestion however the code below produces different results in 7.7.2 than in 7.7.3 - results are shown for both. The 7.7.3 version shows the á symbol. Any reason for the change ?

DEFINE FILE CAR
SP/A1 = HEXBYT(160, 'A1');
SP1/A1 = ' ';
SP2/A10 = CTRAN(1,SP1,32,160,SP2)
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT SP SP2
COUNTRY
END
-RUN

results from 7.6.2......
PAGE 1

SP SP2 COUNTRY
ENGLAND
JAPAN
ITALY
W GERMANY
FRANCE

results from 7.7.3......
PAGE 1

SP SP2 COUNTRY
á á ENGLAND
á á JAPAN
á á ITALY
á á W GERMANY
á á FRANCE

Posts: 196 | Location: London, UK | Registered: December 06, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Why bother with this, SET SHOWBLANKS = ON will give you all the spaces you need. No need for CTRAN or HEXBYT for spaces at all...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom,
Yes normally I could do this but as I am holding the output so that it can be passed to an html page the showblanks doesn't work. The idea is to line up the fields in a drop down list for ease of reading.

Here is my code.......

SET SHOWBLANKS=ON
DEFINE FILE SETTU1
Q_NUM/A6 = EDIT(QRY_NUM);
Q_DATE/I8DMYY = QRY_DATE;
Q_DATE2/A8DMYY = EDIT(Q_DATE);
Q_DATE3/A10 = EDIT(Q_DATE2,'99/99/9999');

VALUESAM/A15 = FTOA(SETT_AMNT,'(D15.2c)','A15') ;
-*nb. ascii 160 below produces a nice non-printable character ie. a space but html
-* treats it if it is a normal character ie. maintains leading blanks
VALUEUS/A15 = CTRAN(15, VALUESAM, BYTVAL(' ','I2'), 160, 'A15');
ACCTHTY/A2 = CTRAN(2, ACCT_HTYP, BYTVAL(' ','I2'), 160, 'A2');
ACCTNUM/A9 = CTRAN(9, ACCT_HNUM, BYTVAL(' ','I2'), 160, 'A9');
CURRCDE/A3 = CTRAN(4, SETT_CURR, BYTVAL(' ','I2'), 160, 'A3');

SBYLINE/A150 ='' ;
END
TABLE FILE SETTU1
PRINT SBYLINE
ON TABLE HOLD AS SETTUPD1 FORMAT ALPHA
END
-* this html page displays the list created above - but now in 7.7.03 with funny chars. replacing the blanks.

-HTMLFORM QMONUPD1
-RUN

and the hold file has the a with a ' symbol on top.
No-one seems to explain why this worked in 7.6.02 but NOT in 7.7.03.

Regards,
Ian

Expert
posted Hide Post
Ian,

It may have to do with your NLS settings for the Code Page. Check out your NLS settings...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Excellent suggestion Tom - worked a treat - changed the NLS code from 437 to 137 in both the Admin Console and the Server Console and all OK now - yippee - Many thanks, Ian