Focal Point
Documentation Tool

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7521067331

July 25, 2003, 10:19 AM
<Luis Z>
Documentation Tool
Hello,
I belong to a WebFocus developers team also programming in HTML, Javascript, Pl/SQL... We need a documentation tool we could use to create a knowledge repository of relationated scripts, tables and masters.
Do anybody know about a similar doc-tool? (freeware if posible)

Thanks,

August 01, 2003, 12:02 PM
<Claudia Holanda>
Hello Luis,

We are not aware of any software on the market to do this. IBI developed its own way of addressing this issue by developing a custom tool.

Best regards
October 29, 2003, 01:39 PM
susannah
well, whats the CUSTOM TOOL you're talking about, Claudia?
October 30, 2003, 06:37 PM
<Michele Brady>
Documentation Services created a "custom tool" for our online documentation repository. The back end is a SQL Server database which tracks the location of files on our network. The front end is an Web interface. We also incorporated a search engine. I'm not aware of any freeware for this purpose, but there are many content management systems on the market that can do this and much more.

I hope this information helps.
March 22, 2004, 03:00 PM
Lou DeTota
You may want to contact :

Gil Givati
Director
Products & Intl. Business development
Software Resources Ltd. (SRL)

Tel : +972-3-7662014
Fax: +972-3-6482197
Mobile: +972-54-888937
URL: http://www.srl.co.il

They may have a product that will do exactly what you want for WebFOCUS.
March 24, 2004, 05:12 PM
webfocuspgm
I've not worked with the IWAY Software but doesn't the Data Management Console do something like this as well. The demo made it sound like it documented table information, helped create new tables and allowed you to search on table and column names to do impact analysis.

Am I incorrect in thinking the IWAY product and the SRL product work similarly ? Confused
March 26, 2004, 05:50 PM
Jake Freivald
quote:
webfocuspgm said:
[qb] I've not worked with the IWAY Software but doesn't the Data Management Console do something like this as well. The demo made it sound like it documented table information, helped create new tables and allowed you to search on table and column names to do impact analysis.[/qb]
The good news: iWay's Data Management Console includes Metadata Manager, which tracks tables and masters for iWay data adapters (aka WebFOCUS Direct Data Interfaces, or EDA for our long-term friends). It does impact analysis and helps you search on table descriptions, etc.

The bad news: This tool was designed for use with ETL Manager (the successor to Copy Manager), not WebFOCUS, and so out of the box doesn't track HTML pages, scripts, or reports. While ETL Manager customers could see benefit from this tool, I don't think it applies to the kind of work you want to do.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Regards,
Jake Freivald
Director
iWay Software