Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Setting changes needed to print French PDF report

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Setting changes needed to print French PDF report
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hello,

I have a PDF report which spits out data from a master file where 1 of the columns' has French text. I have to display this column in my PDF report and have some difficulty doing it, since few characters are appearing as a "?" (question mark) in my report.

I was searching for information about this on the forum & Dev studio help file, but didn't find detailed instructions on how I can change some settings in WebFocus inorder for it to print the characters as it should.

Thanks in advance for your help!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WF 7.7.03, Win 7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Does it show ?'s in any other format?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes in HTML as well

WF 7.7.03, Win 7

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It has got to do with the codepage support.
Firstly, you need to find out what codepage and encoding the database is on, then you have in the client settings codepage support... and sometimes the box(es) your environment is on the codepage and encoding there may goof it up... so 3 places to check. Codepage is under NLS Support in the Admin Console.

Cheers,
H.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Oracle 11g - DB2
RedHat

Posts: 115 | Location: Brighton UK | Registered: February 19, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Where exactly do I find this? I don't see any codepage or NLS Support - what do I have to check for here?

WF 7.7.03, Win 7

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nova27:
Where exactly do I find this? I don't see any codepage or NLS Support - what do I have to check for here?

Okay, I found where NLS Support is under the Admin console and found codepage too.. What do I do in here? Should I add the French lang setting? If so, will everything change to French after I do this? what is the impact?

Thanks!

WF 7.7.03, Win 7

Master
posted Hide Post
Your codepage should probably be set to 137 or 1252. Anecdotally, I think 137 works better with WF then 1252. 1252 is a windows codepage and I run on Linux. This might contribute to why 137 works better for me.

Finding all the right spaces to deal with codepages in WF can get irritating by the way. Besides just what you are using within the configuration, I've found I need to also configure it on Tomcat and ReportCaster as well.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It is configured to 1252, but still doesn't recognize all the special characters that my French column has - is there anything else that needs to be set inorder for WebFocus to print the French report ?

Thanks!

WF 7.7.03, Win 7

Master
posted Hide Post
If you made any changes, you may need to restart everything. Reporting Server, ReportCaster and Client to recognize any changes.

Also is your reporting server set to the same codepage as your client? Are you on a windows server or linux server?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You'd also want to check what the database encoding is set as... go onto your Server Console => Adapters and check your adapter's NLS_LANG in Environment section. Query sample data - do you get your characters or ???

If that already brings ??? then go commandline and query the database, do you get your characters or ??? - in that case its not WF...

There is a chain of how the data flows, and one codepage difference can make a difference as Eric said. You need to check all the parts in the chain so start with the source.

Cheers,
H.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Oracle 11g - DB2
RedHat

Posts: 115 | Location: Brighton UK | Registered: February 19, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Basically the database also doesn't show the characters correctly, but they show @ symbol in few places and WF shows "?" in the PDF/HTML output..

Shouldn't WF also show "@" as it is in the database? Why is it instead displaying "?"

Also, NLS_LANG in Adapters > Environments settings is NOT SET - does this mean I have to set it to 1252 (since that is the Codepage setting in NLS Support)?

Is that why WF decodes "@" symbol as "?"

I am all confused as to what needs to be done here! Frowner

WF 7.7.03, Win 7

Master
posted Hide Post
What database are you using?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Oracle

WF 7.7.03, Win 7

Master
posted Hide Post
You will want to start by validating that the NLS_LANG variable from your server is set correctly. Validate that using SQL Plus (on your Reporting Server) returns the data correctly. If you have a DBA, this is a good time to get them involved.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Basically the database also doesn't show the characters correctly,

So who expects you to do guru magic with a report if they feed nonsense to start with? Not going to happen.

OK, so first is to deal with the database. You need to make sure the data there is OK to start with. If the ETL process munges it up before it gets there it's nothing to do with WF. When you query it with SQL and get wrong characters, it still has nothing to do with WF.

NLS_LANG should be set in the environment variables run at startup. - usually when the Oracle client is installed. It may be set correctly in another (oracle user?) profile, but not necessarily included in the path when you fire up the WebFOCUS

You must go back and insist this is NOT a WF problem, it is between database and your environment. If it is only you, you need to put the Oracle DBA and Windows Admin hats on and let those two fight it out, the WebFOCUS hat comes only after they get their s...tuff sorted. Wink

Cheers,
H.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Oracle 11g - DB2
RedHat

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

So now database issue is resolved, ETL fixed their stuff.. WF now no longer shows symbols like "?" or "@" but now for some special characters like "è" WF does not display the accent above that letter "e".. It only prints the letter "e"...

I did a sample data of the master file and that shows the same defect.. it ignores the accent above "e"... Is there something I have to do inorder for WF to display this character correctly? The database shows it correctly now.

Really appreciate your help! Thanks!

WF 7.7.03, Win 7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Nova27

I think this goes back to the codepage setting. But I don't know the proper one to use for French.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post